Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Never shed

Re: Help Itdentify morph and species

Guido,
    Two questions:
    1) What's the most number of females you've put with a male? I don't think the male would wear out. The breeding season, the natural breeding season that is, lasts but a few days. Then he's got the other 360 days to recuperate. A male would never lock with 20 females, but providing an ample supply affords him the opportunity to seek out the most receptive (via pheromones).
    2) In regards to the email: "mates should be same size" how is this possible? I'm of the understanding that a sexually mature female is ~2x the size of a sexually mature male. Looking at the OP's photos of the male, leucistic, hypomelanistic T. e. vagrans, could a female the "same size" be fertile? I would simple use a divider in the enclosure, mesh, plexiglass with scent holes, etc, to first determine the behavior/intentions of the pair.

3 was the max for my male. He did his do doing and seemed fine. In most natural situations, the males probably outnumber the females so the number of males that get to breed is low in comparison. I think Steve was just suggesting the male-female size should be as close as possible. I think that after the coupling a male should probably be removed if the size difference is too large.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Second shed" NikkiSixx's Avatar

Looks like a wandering to me. My dad and I are working with some Mel's. Let me know if you ever produce, or want to part with one of these. I am sure we would be happy to take it. See what other morphs we can get to produce with the mel's!

Old and wise snake

I have seen similar Wanderings caught in the past. Each one is a gem! I wish you luck reproducing it.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Awesome looking snake, reminded me of the silver eastern at first glance. Good luck hope you can reproduce that gene.

Wow! What an amazing incredible find! Idk what kind of garter he is, but he is so pretty! Yes breed him! There needs to be more of this beautiful snake!