Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: have anyone of you poison snakes?

Some enjoy jumping headfirst out of airplanes, some enjoy diving off cliffs into rivers, some enjoy rollercoasters, driving things off ramps or strapping sticks to your legs and coasting down a snowy mountain.... and then others enjoy keeping venomous animals. It's all in what gives you that excitement... that rush. While I hate heights and therefore do not enjoy any of the first things in the least... I will probably own a venomous snake or two some day.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Some enjoy jumping headfirst out of airplanes, some enjoy diving off cliffs into rivers, some enjoy rollercoasters, driving things off ramps or strapping sticks to your legs and coasting down a snowy mountain.... and then others enjoy keeping venomous animals. It's all in what gives you that excitement... that rush. While I hate heights and therefore do not enjoy any of the first things in the least... I will probably own a venomous snake or two some day.

All things I enjoy doing, yet hard to do when dead from a snakebite.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

I agree with Shannon- many people have potentially deadly hobbies. A harmelss trip down the slope, or lap around the dirtbike track... any of these things could be the last thing we do. Many hobbies have risks. A couple of my buddies badly injured themselves simply enjoying a wakeboard ride. Its all about what you like to do, and what you feel capable of- and being careful of coarse. I do feel strongly though, that people who keep hots should have them locked away securely in a room separate from people, and antivenom should be available for the species you keep.

Some enjoy jumping headfirst out of airplanes, some enjoy diving off cliffs into rivers, some enjoy rollercoasters, driving things off ramps or strapping sticks to your legs and coasting down a snowy mountain.... and then others enjoy keeping venomous animals. It's all in what gives you that excitement... that rush.
    Maybe I'm just reading you wrong (probably), but to me that seems like pretty much the worst possible reason to keep a potentially dangerous animal. It's one thing if the dangerous element just spices up the hobby a bit, and a whole other if danger is practically the only reason you're doing it.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a hobby that's pretty much in the same category (i.e. contains a dangerous element, check the profile, guess which one it is ), but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that people who are just looking for a rush are often very irresponsible, sometimes right out dangerous to be around.

Correct!! On my ball python group, some man who had kept venomous snakes for over 20+ years, one of his bit parity on his hand. And he was only 12 min from the hospital. He showed in clear pics what happened. THAT would make anyone not one to own one.

If you want the link, let me know... *if I can post it *

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    Here is another ancient thread worth having a look.

I agree wholeheartedly with James on the statement above, I also admire many handsome Venomous species, But I'd rather just admire the pictures, and see them at a zoo, Even if I were the most experienced keeper on the planet, I'd rather not have a "Pet" that can one day kill me with a nanosecond of bad judgment.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Maybe I'm just reading you wrong (probably), but to me that seems like pretty much the worst possible reason to keep a potentially dangerous animal. It's one thing if the dangerous element just spices up the hobby a bit, and a whole other if danger is practically the only reason you're doing it.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a hobby that's pretty much in the same category (i.e. contains a dangerous element, check the profile, guess which one it is ), but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that people who are just looking for a rush are often very irresponsible, sometimes right out dangerous to be around.
    Hunting.

I don't know about Finland, but anytime one enters the woods during game season in the USA, there is the genuine risk of some untrained fool with a loaded weapon "accidentally" shooting you.

I have to agree with Loren's statement as well, I myself have some scars, and have seen the helicopter pick up badly wounded people from my track, but there is a sharp contrast here, our trauma centers have expertise in treating broken bones, however they are clueless what to do for a mamba bite.

"Preparing For Second shed" NetBSD's Avatar

Hunting.

I don't know about Finland, but anytime one enters the woods during game season in the USA, there is the genuine risk of some untrained fool with a loaded weapon "accidentally" shooting you.

AMEN. around my parts we got some real morons out with loaded rifels, this is one reason i keep my arse home and outof the mountain during hunting.

oh and to stay on topic. i catch and release copperheads all the time, mostly down at the local fishing spot when i see a gang of kids trying to kill the poor thing, but i would never keep anything that is venomous mainly because i have a 1 year old daughter that i am not willing to risk getting bit even if i kept the snake in fort knox

Quote Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
    AMEN. around my parts we got some real morons out with loaded rifels, this is one reason i keep my arse home and outof the mountain during hunting.

oh and to stay on topic. i catch and release copperheads all the time, mostly down at the local fishing spot when i see a gang of kids trying to kill the poor thing, but i would never keep anything that is venomous mainly because i have a 1 year old daughter that i am not willing to risk getting bit even if i kept the snake in fort knox
    We have them around here alot, but I never seen one.... just dead ones ran over or the shed.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
    I would never keep anything that is venomous mainly because i have a 1 year old daughter that i am not willing to risk getting bit even if i kept the snake in fort knox

Ditto, I have kids 9, 12, 15, 26 and a grand daughter to think about.

Hunting.
    Target shooting.

Not the case here. We average about one or two accidental deaths and about as many wounded per year. Usually because of a negligent discharge.

But I've heard it can get pretty wild elsewhere in the world during hunting season.