Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 gal. tank?

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

5 gal. tank?

I found an old 5gal terrarium at the dump yesterday. I wasn't planning on keeping anything in it, just thought it would be good to have for whatever I need it for.
    But now... I'd kinda like to keep something in it... but it's just so small.
    So is there any kind of reptile/amphibian that can live in something that small? Some kind of small snake? If not, I'll just buy a bigger tank, use it for quarantining the next snake I get, and then use it to keep something else in it. I'm buying a 10gal soon anyway for quarantine when I get a second garter this year, so it really isn't important, but it would be pretty cool.

Re: 5 gal. tank?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    I found an old 5gal terrarium at the dump yesterday. I wasn't planning on keeping anything in it, just thought it would be good to have for whatever I need it for.
    But now... I'd kinda like to keep something in it... but it's just so small.
    So is there any kind of reptile/amphibian that can live in something that small? Some kind of small snake? If not, I'll just buy a bigger tank, use it for quarantining the next snake I get, and then use it to keep something else in it. I'm buying a 10gal soon anyway for quarantine when I get a second garter this year, so it really isn't important, but it would be pretty cool.
    skinks, blind snakes,flat heads and black heads (both Flat heads and black heads are Tantillas)...Oh that snake WASNT A WORM SNAKE IT WAS A SMITHS BLACK HEAD!!!!...gotta correct that on all three posts
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

You can use it to house small garters until they outgrow it. You could also put a nothern brown snake or any small snakes in it. It will work great for that new baby garter you plan on getting.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    skinks, blind snakes,flat heads and black heads (both Flat heads and black heads are Tantillas)...Oh that snake WASNT A WORM SNAKE IT WAS A SMITHS BLACK HEAD!!!!...gotta correct that on all three posts
    Got lots of skinks around here (living under our porch), but none of the snakes you mentioned. Not planning on spending much money on this so it's probably gonna be self-caught. Maybe a brown snake or ringneck snake. Lots of those. That'll be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    You can use it to house small garters until they outgrow it. You could also put a nothern brown snake or any small snakes in it. It will work great for that new baby garter you plan on getting.
    I kinda thought it would be to small for that... but if that works I'll use it for that.
    I forgot to ask this in the thread, but how big would the baby have to be before I put him in with my adult?

I would recommend you wait until the babie is close to the same size because the bigger snake could hurt the smaller one. What i mean is don't put a 9" snake in the same cage as a 22" snake. When he gets about 16 or 18" he should be ok.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    Got lots of skinks around here (living under our porch), but none of the snakes you mentioned. Not planning on spending much money on this so it's probably gonna be self-caught. Maybe a brown snake or ringneck snake. Lots of those. That'll be awesome.

I kinda thought it would be to small for that... but if that works I'll use it for that.
    I forgot to ask this in the thread, but how big would the baby have to be before I put him in with my adult?
    you dont have any tantillas? people often mix up flatheads (the only tantilla that i knopw of thatr isnt a black head)with earthsnakes ....theyre pretty much everywhere i thought.

growing up is optional "

I think the only tantilla snakes he has are tantilla coronata. They are very hard to find.
    Bluesirtalis

oh...ok well tantillas in general dont get big so wont that species fit in the 5 gal?

growing up is optional "

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    I would recommend you wait until the babie is close to the same size because the bigger snake could hurt the smaller one. What i mean is don't put a 9" snake in the same cage as a 22" snake. When he gets about 16 or 18" he should be ok.
    That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    oh...ok well tantillas in general dont get big so wont that species fit in the 5 gal?
    I think it would, but like he said I never see those. Ringnecks, worm snakes, earth snakes, and brown snakes are the smallest snakes I find. Occasionally a pine woods snake (very, very awesome, but very, very rare). That would be my choice but I've only found one. They aren't really in my area. I was pretty lucky when I found the one I found.
    Remember, you live in Texas, I live in NC. Big difference.

If I got a baby though, I would have to quarantine, and keep it separately until he's 18inchs? Would it be easier to get an older snake? I'd rather get a baby, but...