Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I'm new and I love snakes!

I recently moved to South Jordan, Utah from Riverton, Utah. In our old home we had lots of garter snakes and I tried keeping one once and couldn't get it to eat any bugs (I didn't do any research) so I let it go. When I was over at an old neighbor's house recently they saw a snake and were going to kill it so I rescued it and was planning on letting it loose in my new yard.

My 7 year old daughter, Toria, got really attached to it and named it Sammy and we decided to keep it. At the time I really didn't know anything about snakes, but I've been trying to research them and found a really good book at the library called, "Garter and Ribbon Snakes" by R.D. Bartlett. I am going to buy a copy to keep.

We bought a 10 gallon aquarium and some repti-bark, a half log and large water dish for Sammy's new home. I also bought some frozen pinky mice and got to feed Sammy the first time on Mother's day. It kindof grossed me out having to deal with the dead rodent, but I was amazed watching Sammy eat. It took about 10 minutes with one rewarm the first time, but now Sammy is gobbling his pinkies within about 10 seconds of being placed in the cage.

I'm not sure whether Sammy is a boy or a girl so I'll refer to Sammy as a male so I don't have to keep using his name. I've been feeding him about every five days, but I'm not sure that is enough. I've been afraid to feed him worms or fish because of the parasite issue, but I want to varry his diet. The people at Petsmart told me they prefer gold fish, but I didn't buy any because I wanted to do more research. They haven't heard of anyone being successful using worms so I haven't tried that either.

This morning Toria came in and told me Sammy's eyes were blue. When I checked him he was hiding under his log and seemed very anxious about being held which is unusual for Sammy. He doesn't musk on us and rarely defacates in his cage. His eyes were glazed over and a blueish color.

After doing some research I found that this is an indicator of shedding. I'm leaving to go out of town next Thursday and I'm concerned that I won't be here when Sammy sheds. My mother-in-law is going to be here taking care of my kids, and she's afraid of snakes so my kids will have to care for Sammy. I'm hoping that he'll shed before we go.

From what I've read the shed should be one long piece and should include the eyes and tail tip. They shed skin should be removed from his habitat immediately. That is all I've found out so far.

Sammy does have some bumps and scars, and I'd assume that is from being in the wild, but I also read on this forum about parasitic worms being a problem. I need to find a good vet to take Sammy to for a check up. Does anyone here know a good reptile vet in the Salt Lake County Area? Would it be best to wait until after the shed to take Sammy in?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd love to find a herpetology group that meets in my area. Are there any resources I could use to find a group like that?

Sorry this was so long and thanks so much!
    Wendee aka Sssssnakey
    Happily married mom of 3
    1 female T. elegans vagrans (Sammy)
    4 baby T. elegans vagrans born July 19, 2009

Re: I'm new and I love snakes!

Welcome aboard.

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

Wow, sounds like you are really going in with both barrels blazing! Welcome to the addiction!!!
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like Sammy is in good, caring hands. Goldfish should not be on the menu, at all. Your idea about a variety diet is good. Worms(nightcrawlers or Earth worms) as a rule are safe and parasites shouldn't be a problem. Never feed him Redworms, they are toxic. If you want to feed fish, use Guppies. If you check the home page you will find the care sheets that explain the problem with certain fish. Store bought Salmon or Trout are safe but I would avoid any "Product of China"
    Make sure Sammy has plenty of water to bath in, this will help when the shed comes. After the eyes go clear the shed should happen within a couple of days. From the sounds of it you should be back before that occurs. Him being anxious is normal since his vision is reduced and he's not able to see what's going on. Good job on researching the shed process. Retained eye caps and tail tips can cause problems so you are right to look for those once the shed is complete.
    If you can post a picture of the tail area from the bottom side we may be able to tell you what you have. Here's a link to a sexing thread that might help you indentify what you have and also assist in the right kind of photo to post. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/bree...xing-pics.html There are a lot of caring people here on the forum who are willing to help you make the best of this adventure you and your daughter are on. Garter snakes are a very active and interactive creature. They are just as curious about us as we are with them. Great job on the rescue of Sammy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

looks like you're going to end up with 48593759843 garter snakes as fast as I did!!! Don, sssnakeluver in the forums lives in Utah, he might be able to point you in the right direction!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Greetings
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Welcome Sounds like you're off to a great start. Would love to see pictures when you get a chance. Oh, and don't worry too much about missing the shed. While it's ideal to remove it from the tank asap. it's will be ok left in the tank until you get home. Make sure Sammy gets fresh water, though
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

welcome to the forum! looks like you're doing great so far!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

welcome to the forum
    Sammy's one lucky snake to end up with your kind
    browse around - lot's of info to be found here
    enjoy
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

welcome to the forum!!!!!

you have a wandering garter, common in this area. stay away from goldfish. You can buy trout or salmon filets, cut them up and freeze them, and thaw small strips as needed for feeding. feeding pinkies every 5 days is ok....you can feed some fish every couple days also. don't worry about the shedding...natural process....not gonna cause any problems if the shed is left in the cage a couple days. as far as feeding worms, most garters will eat them, and there are no parasites I know of that they get from eating worms. the parasitic worms are usually found under the skin and come from eating amphibians and occasionally some fish.
    there is a group, the Utah herpetological association...but they haven't met in years. send me a pm and I can get you the number for the reptile rescue here in W Valley, and he can give you the name of his vet (she takes care of all his reptiles and other animals, is a very good vet...I don't know what clinic she works at). she is real good with reptiles. I can also give you my cell # to call and I can answer your questions!!!!