Hi, I'm New Here!

Slug Colony to keep for Winter?

Hi! Will slugs reproduce if catch some and house them for winter in your house? How do you go about doing that? I do have access to worms year round but I would like to be able to offer slugs too. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Slug Colony to keep for Winter?

Keep slugs in a cool and very closed container. (They sneak out) . Collect eggs if you can. I have kept slugs for a couple of winters. You can keep in fridge. Make sure they have food. Scraps and stuff. Good luck!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you!

Hi, I'm New Here!

One more thing....does it kill them when you put them in the fridge? If I wanted to keep them alive will that work

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGirl View Post
    One more thing....does it kill them when you put them in the fridge? If I wanted to keep them alive will that work
    They can survive fridge temps, just like worms/superworms. Keeps them alive longer since it slows their metabolism.

They won't breed in those temps though.

I have kept colonies of slugs in a (dead, cord cut off) deep freezer, with about a foot layer of soil in the bottom. Old chest freezers seal up tight (no escapes) and have lots of room. The slugs seemed to do well in the dark... They did reproduce, and there were still slugs in there when I finally emptied it out and removed the old freezer some years later.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you! I may try that with a tupperware container with deep soil and keep it under a cabinet.

They love lettuce, cucumbers and squash including pumpkin carvings. Place some carvings in your yard overnight and go out in the morning and just harvest the slugs to bring in.

Hi, I'm New Here!

We carved our pumpkin last night and I put it behind a bush open with the top laying on the ground. I've harvested them with lettuce too. I feel like a crazy person and probably look like one too with my iphone flashlight at night looking around my house. I feel like driverbys may think I am trying to break in so I hide when I see them coming.... lol