"First shed, A Success"

First snake/garter set-up and taming

Hey all,

I received my first snake ever on July 3 from one of four forum members, @johnnic. It’s a female erythrisric flame eastern garter. She’s a beauty. Thanks, Tom.

I set her up in a 10 gallon with a mini UVB/heat lamp combo, a digital thermometer, a digital Zilla temperature controller, an analog themorstat and humidity gauge, a water bowl and a few plastic flower pot hides.

I’ve been taking a long and slow acclimation/taming route: first week I didn’t handle her and checked in on her multiple times a day. She’s in my living room, so she also sees me often. The second week, I’ve been sitting right next to her tank for an hour or more each day while I read or surf the web. She’s been very curious and has mellowed out more about my presence.

I plan to start placing my hand inside the cage without touching her. I’ll do that for a few days and then try touching her. What do you think? How do you tame baby snakes?

Maybe I’m being too cautious, but I don’t want to freak her out.

I’m feeding her worms and silversides every 3 days at the moment. How many silversides per feeding would you recommend? I’ve been doing one or one and a half depending on size and how they break off.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First snake/garter set-up and taming

Good looking snake. Feeding until there is a nice little bulge in the belly is good.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Good looking snake. Feeding until there is a nice little bulge in the belly is good.
    Sounds good, thanks.

"Third shed In Progress"

As long as the snake is still eating you don't have to worry, little garters have to deal with a lot of stress in he wild. You can try handling the snake anytime.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Zdravko092368 View Post
    As long as the snake is still eating you don't have to worry, little garters have to deal with a lot of stress in he wild. You can try handling the snake anytime.
    Sounds good. Thank you for the input!