PDA

View Full Version : earthworms

nessy
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
are there any parasites that can come from earthworms? are there any ways of avoiding them, such as tryin to squeez the muck out before feeding :p

ssssnakeluvr
06-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I know of no parasites in earthworms......that muck is good old dirt!!!

garterking
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I know of none. I have been warned about being carefull where the worms come from. If they come from a garden that was fertilized, your snake will also consume the fertilizer. That might bring problems later on in life. That and of course, no red worms.

adamanteus
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I've never heard of earth-worms causing a parasite problem, but they can have a laxative effect if used too often, plus they're low in calcium. As others have said, don't use composting worms (what the Americans call "Red Wrigglers"), they're toxic.

GarterGuy
06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Earthworms can carry Hepatic worms (Capillaria sp.) that can affect liver function in snakes. As far as avoiding them, the best way is to raise your own worms or make sure that you get them from a dealer that who has good healthy stock. As far as sweezing the "muck" out of them, I've heard different things on this. It won't help prevent any parasite problems, but some say to let the worms "empty out" before feeding them. I honestly disagree with this. As long as the worms were raised in a good healthy media (another thing for raising your own) this is probably beneficial to the snakes, by providing them with all kinds of minerals and such in the digesting matter in the worm's gut. I try to even make sure that my media is very rich in minerals and such so that I'm actually "gut loading" my worms to be fed to the snakes. Hope this helps.
Roy

adamanteus
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Earthworms can carry Hepatic worms (Capillaria sp.) that can affect liver function in snakes.

I didn't know that, Roy. Do you have more information? Or examples to cite?

abcat1993
06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Heh, worms with worms. Funny.

GarterGuy
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I didn't know that, Roy. Do you have more information? Or examples to cite?

I had heard of that before from some other herpers and online, my best source for the info. though was AVS's UNDERSTANDING REPTILE PARASITES A Basic Manual for Herpetocluturists & Veterinarians. They actually mention that this primarily affects garters, say to treat it with Panacur(fenbendazole) and to diagnose it by doing fecal floats and finding the eggs (they look like little footballs).
Roy

salzar
06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
red worms are toxic.. are they the big ones that you go fishing with, I have beed feeding salzar them.. he seems to be fine he also eats lots of slugs are they toxic as well maybe some are and otheres not. like the yellow ones as appose to the black ones????
lmk!!!!
bye
michelle

GarterGuy
06-07-2007, 08:00 AM
No redworms are the smaller ones that are sometimes sold as red wigglers or such. They're also sold as composting worms....the larger ones tackle stores sell are usually night crawlers and are ok. As far as the slugs, I don't think there are any toxic ones you need to worry about.
Roy

salzar
06-07-2007, 08:28 AM
cool. thanks so much for the fast replys ... wow !!
bye
michelle