PDA

View Full Version : Laxative?

cheryl
06-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Good evening;
Question...are nightcrawlers a natural laxative for snakes or am I dealing with coincidence here? I took my injured/sick garter to the vet because I was afraid it was going to die, and wanted to know if I was needlessly prolonging it's agony by keeping it in captivity. When I had started treating the spots as the vet had instructed it became quite obvious that we were dealing with a significant, deep injury. It ate a goldfish, but had been in the crate for over a week and hadn't pooped. The vet looked him/her over and thought he looked somewhat better than it had in the pictures. He clipped the ends of some sort of bone-like structure that was protruding from the wound and I got more of the antibiotic cream for him. The next day I saw his mate eating a nightcrawler in my garden. I caught one and fed it to 'Baby'. He loved it. The next day he pooped. I gave him another one this morning. You guessed it...worked again. You have mentioned feeding them trout. I have some rainbow fillets in the freezer from our last trip to the hills. Would it work? Anything else easily available in small town SD?
Thanks for your help!
Cheryl

KITKAT
06-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi

Yes, I have found earthworms to be a natural laxative for garters.:o

Goldfish are a problem food, but only if you fed them frequently. It is best to avoid goldfish. Acceptable fish feeders for garters include the following:

Rosey Reds (small pink minnows sold in pet stores)
Bait store minnows called "Crappie" minnows
Strips of trout
Guppies (sold as feeders in pet stores)

I would suggest freezing all fish for 30 days before feeding, thaw the fish in a container of warm to hot water, then place on a dish with a few drops of water around them to keep them moist.

ssssnakeluvr
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
worms aren't exactly laxatives....they are mostly water so they digest fast and pass....make lots of mess!!!!!