PDA

View Full Version : Garter food

*A*
06-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi all, well I am the proud new owner of a common garter! Yey :) I was just wondering though, if i could feed my new garter on Lance fish? They sell them frozen at my local aquarium retailer...and i cant seem to find anywhere that seel feeder guppies, frozen or live. I live in the UK.
I am picking him up on monday, he is about 8ins long at the moment so only a baby!

adamanteus
06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure whether Lance fish are considered "safe" or not Anna. I just use trout (which is safe) cut into suitably sized portions.

Morph
06-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi all, well I am the proud new owner of a common garter! Yey :) I was just wondering though, if i could feed my new garter on Lance fish? They sell them frozen at my local aquarium retailer...and i cant seem to find anywhere that seel feeder guppies, frozen or live. I live in the UK.
I am picking him up on monday, he is about 8ins long at the moment so only a baby!

normally if you tell a shop that you want guppies as feeders, they will tell you they havn't got any. i'm not sure on the laws regarding live feeder fish but most places don't like it.

look on ebay. people are always selling guppies. plus they breed really easily and quickly (20-80 every 3-4 weeks) so you will have your own supply of free food in no time. plus you know where they came from and that they are safe to feed.

*A*
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I have read one care sheet that says they can be fed to garters... but i'm not sure. Do you leave the bones in the pieces or...? And what else do you feed? I can quite easily get hold of earthworms so they aren't a problem.
Thanks so far!

adamanteus
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, leave some bones in, also skin and guts etc. You can use earthworms and pinkies (or pinky parts) too. As much variety as possible has to be a good thing.

*A*
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Okidoki, how big are the trout you use and do you by the farmed ones?
So many questions! Just want to make sure i get everything right, lol!

adamanteus
06-21-2007, 02:43 PM
They're full grown trout, from the supermarket. I just chop then into portions and then freeze them. When needed, I thaw a portion and cut it into garter bite size pieces. I would assume they're farmed, being from the supermarket.

It doesn't have to be trout, any fish not containing thiaminase will do equally well.

*A*
06-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Thankyou, i will see what he takes to and try him on a variety of things. The shop are feeding it a kind of pureed ready made diet by gamma...like the garter grub but more generalised i think, though it doesnt seem so keen on it so i want to find something more "appetising" for it, so to speak.
Will post pics and updates when it gets home! Exciting stuff! :D

adamanteus
06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Once you get him weaned onto pinky parts, you'll be laughing. Good luck. Can't wait to see the photos of him.......Do you know how to post pictures? If not, here's how;
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/1008-guide-posting-pictures.html

*A*
06-22-2007, 02:30 AM
That's what i'm hoping! Nope not yet, i will check the link out, thankyou!