PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed...

cheryl
06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
OK
So, the injured wild garter is much improved and about to be returned to the wild. He has lost a lot of weight. Shed this week and didn't eat at all for several days. Seems to be trying to make up for it today. I bought feeder minnows and pinkies in Sioux Falls today. Had to hand feed him the first fish to get his attention, then he fiercely attacked and ate the other three. Looked like something out of "Jaws".
Will garters overeat? I don't want to cause him anymore problems now. Should I stick to their habit of feeding every several days, or feed him as much as he wants?
I hope you guys realize that it was your advice, along with the vet who trimmed the rib-looking things protruding from the wounds that allowed me to keep the little guy alive. He thanks you...and so do I.
He is about 3 feet long and used to be very robust and almost stocky looking. Would like to get him back to there.
Thanks again!
Cheryl

Elliot
06-30-2007, 07:44 PM
OK
So, the injured wild garter is much improved and about to be returned to the wild. He has lost a lot of weight. Shed this week and didn't eat at all for several days. Seems to be trying to make up for it today. I bought feeder minnows and pinkies in Sioux Falls today. Had to hand feed him the first fish to get his attention, then he fiercely attacked and ate the other three. Looked like something out of "Jaws".
Will garters overeat? I don't want to cause him anymore problems now. Should I stick to their habit of feeding every several days, or feed him as much as he wants?
I hope you guys realize that it was your advice, along with the vet who trimmed the rib-looking things protruding from the wounds that allowed me to keep the little guy alive. He thanks you...and so do I.
He is about 3 feet long and used to be very robust and almost stocky looking. Would like to get him back to there.
Thanks again!
Cheryl

They'll definatley overeat, but you should feed him a good amount every few days (maybe 3-5 with fish?) until you get him back up to his normal weight.

Sid
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I feed my young snakes twice a week. Adults once per week.

Sid

ssssnakeluvr
06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
3 pinkies and several minnows would make a good meal...once a week would be fine, twice if only feeding fish....

Josh
07-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I fed mine about once or twice a weak.