PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

ScimitarX
07-14-2007, 08:45 AM
My 18 month old Male San Francisco has lost a lot of weight in the last couple of weeks, hes been eating fine and pooping normally, as well as being active at his usual times. I cant figure out why hes lost weight, he has 1 or 2 pinkies every week usually and sometimes garter grub. He has a hide and a water bowl and i keep him on tissue paper as substrate because he doesnt seem to like other kinds of bedding. Ive noticed a soft lump appear just before his vent, he hasnt eaten this week though he was bluff striking like he did maybe want to eat. So i think im gonna take him to the vet this week. Just wondered if you guys had any ideas.

adamanteus
07-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I couldn't really comment on the lump, Claire, without seeing a picture. I think you're wise to consult with a vet at the earliest opportunity.

You don't say how big the snake is, but at 18 months old, 2 pinkies per week doesn't sounds like much food. Good luck, and keep us informed of his progress.

zooplan
07-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I agree to James.
Every possible cause for the lump would be an urgent cause to vistit a vet.
Your snake is ill!
Length and weight would be helpful information further to those about age, caging and feeding that you gave.

ScimitarX
07-14-2007, 01:09 PM
hes not that big, pinkies is all he can manage, ive often thought hes a bit small for how old hes supposed to be, must be about 18-20 inches, dont think hes grown much since i got him in november from Alan Francis, he doesnt shed very often either.

adamanteus
07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Claire, it's got to be a vet visit I think. Pretty quick too.

Lulu Bennett
07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
hes not that big, pinkies is all he can manage, ive often thought hes a bit small for how old hes supposed to be, must be about 18-20 inches, dont think hes grown much since i got him in november from Alan Francis, he doesnt shed very often either.

i have been feeding both of mine 2 pinkies or even 3 if the pinkies are really small and thats twice a week on saturdays and wednesday

CrazyHedgehog
07-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Ive noticed a soft lump appear just before his vent, .

Just a thought... you have probably thought of the following but just incase....

is the soft lump on the skin or within the body?
If on the skin, its not a blister is it?
How dry is the cage? you mentioned using tissue paper, which can get overly wet which could cause blisters..

Hope all is ok,

CrazyHedgehog
07-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Also on the feeding thing..
Have you checked the temp in the tank? mine will eat less if the temp drops, just a prolonged draught is enough to put mine off food for a while...and also how much do you offer it? and how often (is it more than he is eating?

ScimitarX
07-14-2007, 03:39 PM
yeah im definitely taking him to the vet on tues or thurs, the vet we use is very good so hopefully he'll know whats wrong. The lump is internal. I make sure to keep his tissue dry, i replace it gets wet and and generally once or twice a week when hes pooped. Hes in a plastic tub on a shelf above our leopard geckos light starter which does get fairly warm, and the room hes in does get quite warm, though i could try moving him somewhere warmer, maybe next to where we keep hatchlings in our conservatory.

ScimitarX
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
oopss!! missed the bit about feeding. 1 pinky is usually enough for him as it does leave a rather large bulge in his belly, as his body isnt much thicker than a pinky, i offer him seconds if he still looks hungry, but doesnt always have it. hes always been a bit of a reluctant feeder and i do have to move his food around alot before he takes it.

Morph
07-15-2007, 02:25 AM
oopss!! missed the bit about feeding. 1 pinky is usually enough for him as it does leave a rather large bulge in his belly, as his body isnt much thicker than a pinky, i offer him seconds if he still looks hungry, but doesnt always have it. hes always been a bit of a reluctant feeder and i do have to move his food around alot before he takes it.

my guys will never take food straight away. even if they are right next to it, they will always wait about 5 hours before eating it.

you say hes a reluctant feeder, have you tried just leaving it for a while. even overnight. mine would only ever feed at night when i first got them... probably a security thing for them.

ScimitarX
07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Right, have moved him to a warmer place this morning so will try feeding again in a day or two so he gets settled. I have tried leaving food in overnight before and hes not been interested, definitely seems to be movement that triggers his feeding response. Even if he does eat now ive moved him think i'll still take him to the vet, just to check everything is ok with him.

adamanteus
07-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I would still take him to the vet, if only to get the lump checked out.

ScimitarX
07-15-2007, 08:31 AM
yeah, i will, i know that inbreeding issues with the species can cause tumors, had one once before that had a skin tumor, the vet we were with at the time(different one than our current vet) tried to remove it but the snake still died. Dont want to repeat that again.

ScimitarX
07-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, i took him to the vets on tuesday, and its not good. The lump is some sort of tumor and because hes so small and he lost so much weight theres not much they can do. So putting him to sleep was the only right thing to do.:(

adamanteus
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Claire, what can I say? I'm so sorry.:(

GarterGirl
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I am so sorry!
That must be pretty upsetting

Lulu Bennett
07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
oh sweety i am so sorry to hear that. you did the right thing tho, think of it that way. the standered of life wount not have been good. its best to put it out of unnessary pain and discomfort. you did better than i could have done :(