PDA

View Full Version : Bait Store Minnows?

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi guys,
Quick question. We just got back from fishing and I have few bait store minnows left over. I want try and see if our snake will eat a minnow as he is just on the worm diet right now (new snake owner). Do we have to freeze it first or can I try and let the snake eat one live? Just curious to see if he will eat something other than worms, that is until we try the pinkies in the near future.

Thanks

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Many of our members use live fish, many used dead. If it is his/her first encounter with fish in captivity, you might find that the movement of a live fish stimulates a feeding response.

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks. It is the first encounter in captivity. I have placed them in a small clear container in the terrarium and they are flopping around and swimming. The snake is on a branch right above them and is not interested right now. I don't know whether to leave him be or try to guide him down there to the fish. All trial and error I guess.

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd be tempted to just leave him be for now. Just see what happens.:)

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Good idea. Guess I am just eager to see if he will eat something other than worms. If he wants to try it then he'll do it when he gets ready to. Only thing is The fish are in a low container and not too much water is in it so one has already floated to the top... oops. They'll both be dead by the time he gets off that stick - lol.

At least one is ready for freezing if he does like them. I better get a deeper container to put the fish in.

Elliot
07-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Sometimes for me it works better to put the live fish on the floor of the cage, and the flopping around makes the snakes a little bit more aggressive. I have ribbon snakes so I definatley know how it feel to have reluctant feeders! :D

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that when he comes down from basking on his stick. He's been up there for a while now and it appears that food is the last thing on his mind!

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, Kurly came down from his perch and laid around the rocks for a little while. I laid one of the fish on the floor of the cage and Kurly didn't even notice it. I nudged him a little, he crawled right over it, then backed up and his tounge started flickering around . When he realized the fish was there, he gobbled it right up.

I am happy that he ate it so quickly once he realized it was there seeing how all we have given him are worms thus far. Now, lets just hope that he adjusts this quick to pinkies when we start him on those!

I cannot thank everyone enough for your quick relpies whenever I have a question. This is the GREATEST garter snake forum ever!

Elliot
07-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Well, Kurly came down from his perch and laid around the rocks for a little while. I laid one of the fish on the floor of the cage and Kurly didn't even notice it. I nudged him a little, he crawled right over it, then backed up and his tounge started flickering around . When he realized the fish was there, he gobbled it right up.

I am happy that he ate it so quickly once he realized it was there seeing how all we have given him are worms thus far. Now, lets just hope that he adjusts this quick to pinkies when we start him on those!

I cannot thank everyone enough for your quick relpies whenever I have a question. This is the GREATEST garter snake forum ever!

That is great news! I have a good tip for pinkies if you have trouble with those too.

Kurly1
07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
If I do have trouble with them then I'll be sure to ask you. :)

adamanteus
07-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Great news that Kurly took the fish! I think the switch to pinkies should be just as simple. Good luck!

drache
07-22-2007, 03:47 AM
way to go, Kurly!

Kurly1
07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Well, I can say the one good thing about Kurly eating minnows instead of worms is his poop is not as runny and SMELLY! I was quite pleased when I checked on him this morning and saw small white poop balls instead of the runny black and white mess that I usually see after he has eaten worms. It was even better to look down into his living quarters and not get hit with the overwhelming smell that normally leaves me looking like...... :eek: