PDA

View Full Version : expert help needed

garterking
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a garter who has decided to go on a hunger strike. It's a male and he has a female cagemate. He came out of brumation in April and all was fine til about 6 weeks ago. Him and his lover have been together a lot lately. you know, things are happening with them:rolleyes:

Well, he used to eat a couple worms and fuzzies a week. During the last 7 weeks he has only had 1 worm, and that was about a week and a half ago. He's energetic but has no interest in food. worms were his favourite but as of late just doesn't seem to be interested. I know they can go a long time without, but 7 weeks and he's not ready to hibernate have me more than just a little concerned.
I've looked him over and he seems healthy, nothing obvious. Tha female is eating regularly. So is it just the fact that he's in heat and this is normal, or should I start to consider forcing him.
What do you think??
Mike

Thamnophis
08-16-2007, 01:17 AM
It is hard to say.
I have a male eastern that skips a lot of meals since a month or so. But he looks allright and is active. ANd every now and then he takes some food.
Maybe it is normal behaviour for some males after the reproduction period.

drache
08-16-2007, 05:22 AM
sometimes their favourite foods can change seasonally
you might try offering him something else
good luck
I hope he eats soon

adamanteus
08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Seven weeks does seem a long time. I would also be getting a little concerned now.

Lulu Bennett
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
i agree with james. that seems like a quite a long time to be without food. As Rhea said try offering him something different.
i hope you work it out and keep us updated xxx

garterking
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
sometimes their favourite foods can change seasonally
you might try offering him something else
good luck
I hope he eats soon

In the last few weeks I've tried mice (pinks and fuzzies), guppies, and his favourite - worms. Not even a bit interested
The only thing he is interested in is wrapping up with the other one.

adamanteus
08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe it's time to separate them for a while?

drache
08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
could be a guy thing

GarterGuy
08-16-2007, 11:44 PM
could be a guy thing

Food or sex....one of the greatest dilema's of all time.:D

Thamnophis
08-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Food or sex....one of the greatest dilema's of all time.:D

You can have both at the same time...

drache
08-17-2007, 08:03 AM
You can have both at the same time...

only to a point
did you see "La Grande Bouffe"?
sorry - I know that's way off topic

enigma200316
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
7 weeks is a little long, but I'd wait an other week or two then start thinking about force feeding.......I had a python one time was about 3-4
feet long ate a large rat then would not eat no matter what I tried for a year than just started eating again like normal and he was fine no problems.......:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, pythons are notorious for fasting like that. I think somebody said that it's a part of their normal rhythm to fast for long periods of time each year in the wild.

Cazador
08-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey Mike,
If you're comfortable doing so, I'd go ahead and give him something to eat (ie. force-feeding). If you're not comfortable, I'd just separate them and keep trying for another week, but force-feeding should be on your mind. Send me a PM if you need any more help than has been described in the articles section (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Force_Feeding).

Definitely have a look at the underside (ventral side) of the snake to see if it is convex. If it is underweight, it's time to act. Personally, I'd force-feed something small that has been given a vitamin supplement... even a drop of vitamin into the mouth of a dead fish will suffice.
Rick

garterking
08-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Mike,
If you're comfortable doing so, I'd go ahead and give him something to eat (ie. force-feeding). If you're not comfortable, I'd just separate them and keep trying for another week, but force-feeding should be on your mind. Send me a PM if you need any more help than has been described in the articles section (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Force_Feeding).

Definitely have a look at the underside (ventral side) of the snake to see if it is convex. If it is underweight, it's time to act. Personally, I'd force-feed something small that has been given a vitamin supplement... even a drop of vitamin into the mouth of a dead fish will suffice.
Rick

WELCOME BACK CAZ, I think we've all missed you. Hope everything went well for you.

Good news to report. My boy knocked back 2 nightcrawlers Saturday and another today. Kinda small for him, but hopefully the start of better things. Thanks for everyones help.

Mike

drache
08-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Glad to hear he ate
force feeding is so unpleasant, it's good to be spared

GarterGirl
08-20-2007, 05:01 AM
This is just a guess but maybe they could be mating.
Well good luck!

Anyway...

Welcome back
Cazador!:D

Lulu Bennett
08-20-2007, 05:53 AM
during mating who is it that doesn't eat? male or female? or both?

garterking
08-20-2007, 06:33 AM
[quote=GarterGirl;22800]This is just a guess but maybe they could be mating.
Well good luck!

That isn't a guess, they are & have been. Maybe he is happy with his accomplishments and now he can focus on fattening up before the cold season comes. I'm crossing my fingers. LOL

enigma200316
08-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Glad to hear thats great news.....good luck!!!!!

Cazador
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
during mating who is it that doesn't eat? male or female? or both?

If one stops eating, it is normally the male, but many times they both continue eating without interruption. To be clear, many males stop eating for a month or so around mating season, though.

Jake Dubz
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
My red sided male is doing the same thing- Hasn't ate in over 3 weeks* but still is active... I can completly understand the "sex or food" dilemma lmao BUT HES GOT NO LADY FRIEND IN THERE!!! :( Is "fall" their time for "hibernation" ???? I heard they kinda chill out in certain monthes (obviously... duh weather changes) but do they still do this by instinct in captivity?

enigma200316
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
yeah but in captivity if your not going to brumate they shouldn't stop eating really though right, because your keeping a good temp for them
all the time??:confused:

chloe
09-29-2007, 01:37 PM
One of my female chequered garters just stops eating on her own about October/November time and i have to hibinate her otherwize she would just loose to much weight. So she seems to know regardless of temperature change that it is time for hibination.

garterking
09-29-2007, 01:46 PM
One of my female chequered garters just stops eating on her own about October/November time and i have to hibinate her otherwize she would just loose to much weight. So she seems to know regardless of temperature change that it is time for hibination.

The eastern I was refering to stopped at the end of July. Since then he's only had 4 worms and 2 pinkies. I have a wandering that also stopped late August
Late September or October are the months that they usually go off their food, so it is like they just know what time of the year it is. But July and August (the 2 hottest months of the year) in my opinion are not the time they should slow their eating. Just the opposite in my opinion.