PDA

View Full Version : HELP! my baby isnt moving

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 08:50 PM
its only moving its head and its neck what do i do :(???

Josh
08-31-2007, 08:52 PM
is his belly concave??????????????

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 08:56 PM
is his belly concave??????????????
no his physical apperance is fine but what happened is he got out of his cage 2 days ago and i just found him like this

Josh
08-31-2007, 08:56 PM
when is the last time you fed him, be honest????

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 08:59 PM
when is the last time you fed him, be honest????
5 :( wednsday was his feeding day but he wasnt there :(

Josh
08-31-2007, 09:00 PM
get him food now.

Elliot
08-31-2007, 09:01 PM
I doubt lack of food is the only problem with him, but I don't exactly know what the problen is. One of my maritimes was like that when I got it.

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 09:01 PM
get him food now.
he wont eat should i forcefeed?
and how do i do that?

Elliot
08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Force_Feeding

Josh
08-31-2007, 09:03 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Force_Feeding
but its your choice i am not responsible for anything.
i am giving my opinion alright?

Elliot
08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I would wait it out for tonight first, let him get back in his cage, and try in the morning. I don't really know what else to say besides that.

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I would wait it out for tonight first, let him get back in his cage, and try in the morning. I don't really know what else to say besides that.
i gavehim a little fish and he seems to be moving his baody a little bit

Josh
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
so he ate with out force feeding?

EdgyExoticReptiles
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
so he ate with out force feeding?
no i had to force it but he seems able to move his body a little bit more it was a small salmon peice should i feed him more?

Josh
08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
see i f he takes it on his own.

drache
09-01-2007, 04:40 AM
is he warm enough?

Snaky
09-01-2007, 04:59 AM
I doubt that it's because of lack of food... Could be that he has a spine dislocated or something, what it is it sounds quite strange.

I can't really help you, although it seems like something I've also encountered. I couldn't go to a vet anymore that day and a few hours later my snake was death. I think it was more like heart attack or something, but a dissection didn't bring out anything. If you don't trust it, go to a vet. Otherwise check all his conditions and leave the snake alone.

adamanteus
09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Reed, I'm sorry I wasn't here when this thread was started (it was 4AM here). How is he doing now? Any sign of movement?

As Snaky says, check all the environmental conditions, especially temperature. Is it possible that he injured himself during his escape?

Please keep us informed with as much imformation as you can. Good luck.

joeysgreen
09-01-2007, 01:09 PM
snakes will not die, or show these symptoms from a lack of food extending a week or more. Yes, they may lose weight, but they should still be active, searching for food. You are describing an ill or injured snake, and the first thing to be done is definately NOT forcefeeding it. In addition to stress, you risk further injuring your snake. Furthermore, if the snake is such because it is dehydrated, the digestion process, or what little can take place in this condition, will further debilitate your snake. It needs to be rehydrated first.

Without knowing what is wrong with your snake, a vet needs to be consulted. Any snake that is not moving crosses the line from perhaps waiting to see how it turns out with some TLC, to it needing professional help now.

I hope that your snake has faired well, and improves.

Ian

Ameivaboy
09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Reed,

If the snake got out anything could have happened to it.
is this one of the baby pickeringii's I sold you??
If it is I will give you a nice discount on another one
you can either come to my house again or come to the reptile expo in Sacramento later this month as I will have the last of them available there
Let me know

Kevin

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Reed,

If the snake got out anything could have happened to it.
is this one of the baby pickeringii's I sold you??
If it is I will give you a nice discount on another one
you can either come to my house again or come to the reptile expo in Sacramento later this month as I will have the last of them available there
Let me know

Kevin
hs moving his head and neck a little bit more how do i make him driink? and ya it was one u sold me

KITKAT
09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds to me like he is cold...

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 10:29 PM
hs moving his head and neck a little bit more how do i make him driink? and ya it was one u sold me
he just looks skinny

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Sounds to me like he is cold...
do they absorb water through there skin or do i have to open his mouth to make him drink???? o AND HE MOVED HIS TAIL SOME

KITKAT
09-01-2007, 10:36 PM
do they absorb water through there skin or do i have to open his mouth to make him drink???? o AND HE MOVED HIS TAIL SOME

I do not know whether they absorb through the skin, but they are not like amphibians... they do drink.

I would NOT force water on him right now. He needs to be warmed up, I think. Do you have him in his viv? What is the temperature there?

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I do not know whether they absorb through the skin, but they are not like amphibians... they do drink.

I would NOT force water on him right now. He needs to be warmed up, I think. Do you have him in his viv? What is the temperature there?
75-80 .........

KITKAT
09-01-2007, 10:44 PM
How long has he been at that temp?

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
How long has he been at that temp?
all day.....

KITKAT
09-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, it is not temp then. Perhaps you could lightly mist his body, without getting water on his head... is there a reason you think he is dehydrating?

Since he has been warm all day, it is possible that this is a spinal injury. If so, it may improve with another day or two of rest, or it may be permanent.:(:confused:

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, it is not temp then. Perhaps you could lightly mist his body, without getting water on his head... is there a reason you think he is dehydrating?

Since he has been warm all day, it is possible that this is a spinal injury. If so, it may improve with another day or two of rest, or it may be permanent.:(:confused:
no what happened is he got out of his cage and five days later i found him and i force fead him for 2 days and now he can move his tail and hes a little skinny how do i mkae him drink???

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-01-2007, 11:00 PM
How Do I Get Water In Him???

KITKAT
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
One of two options...

1. Mist his body lightly with water but leave his head dry.

2. Take a dropper or syringe and let a small drop of water hang on the tip, then touch it to his upper lip. If he wants it, he should drink it... IF he can swallow.

adamanteus
09-02-2007, 02:18 PM
How's that baby doing, Reed?

Thamnophis
09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
When it did not eat for 5 days... don't forcefeed.
Give it some rest and try feeding in a few days.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
When it did not eat for 5 days... don't forcefeed.
Give it some rest and try feeding in a few days.
he passed away last night :(

drache
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
oh reed
I'm so sorry

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
oh reed
I'm so sorry
he was so small :(

ScimitarX
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Im so sorry:( but you did all you could.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Im so sorry:( but you did all you could.
:( it still makes me sad

Cazador
09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey Reed,

Sorry to chime in so late, but it really sounds like there wasn't much you could do. For the record, "forcing" a snake to drink is more difficult than forcing it to eat. One can put them in water and hope for the best or intubate the snake... not a procedure for everyone. In such times, it's best to offer 10% Pedialyte and 90% water. Vitamin-supplemented water is also an option. Snakes (and reptiles, in general) usually respond very well. I only mention this in an attempt to help the next person.

I'm sorry for your loss, Reed. It sounds like you were very attached to this snake and would have been a good owner. Be sure to correct the security issue before replacing him. My sincere condolences,

Rick

enigma200316
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
sorry for your loss Reed, chin-up you did all you could do......:(

joeysgreen
09-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry he's passed on. There is no point forcing an animal to drink if it won't on it's own. In that case injectable fluid therapy is necessary anyhow. I'm sure you tried your hardest though.

Ian

Ameivaboy
09-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Reed,

Im sorry the little puget passed away. It is always tough to lose an animal especially when it's one you have been wanting and wanting and then you finally get it and it's gone after a couple days (I recently went through something along those lines with some jeweled lacertas I bought from a well known breeder)
If you attend the Sacramento expo I will give you another free of charge.
I would not normally do this but I can see obviously you cared about these little guys (which is more than I can say about some other people who have tried to buy some off me). If you can not attend the expo give me a call so I can hold one for you. I want you to have a good experience with these guys and see them grow into adults and so you can eventually breed them. Give me a call and we will work something out.

My Condolences,
Kevin

KITKAT
09-03-2007, 08:24 AM
So sorry, Reed...

I knew the prognosis was grim because with heat he still was not moving. It was probably a spinal injury, and you could not have done anything.

Baby garters are SO prone to escape, little artists at it.... you'll do better with your next one!

adamanteus
09-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear that news, Reed.:(