PDA

View Full Version : my red-sided male has a couple

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 08:49 PM
scale bulges where the scale is turning sorta brown, what is it???

KITKAT
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Could be mites. :eek:

Try rubbing with a damp white rag, such as an old diaper, then looking closely at the fabric for mites.

If not mites, then my next guess would be fungal or bacterial infection under the scales.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Could be mites. :eek:

Try rubbing with a damp white rag, such as an old diaper, then looking closely at the fabric for mites.

If not mites, then my next guess would be fungal or bacterial infection under the scales.
can those kill him? and should i seperate the other snake?

KITKAT
09-13-2007, 08:57 PM
can those kill him? and should i seperate the other snake?

Not sure how fatal mites are, but I think it is a very serious problem.

IF you find mites, you definately want to seperate him from the rest of your collection... but you will probably want to treat all your snakes as a preventive, too.

But make sure it is mites first...

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Not sure how fatal mites are, but I think it is a very serious problem.

IF you find mites, you definately want to seperate him from the rest of your collection... but you will probably want to treat all your snakes as a preventive, too.

But make sure it is mites first...
i rubbed the areas with a wet paper towal i found a brown dot or two but i think that dirt, the other one doesnt have any scale buldges tho

KITKAT
09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
See what other forum members think, then, before doing anything. If no mites are found, then it could be either fungus or bacteria, and I am not as familiar with treatment for those problems...

Elliot
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I would at least seperate them for now, just until we know for sure what's going on.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I would at least seperate them for now, just until we know for sure what's going on.
i dont know if there mites they just look like brown scales that are sorta thick any ideass???

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Helllp! i dont have anything to keep them in

Stefan-A
09-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Any plastic tubs or boxes with lids you could sacrifice?

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Any plastic tubs or boxes with lids you could sacrifice?
yea but any1 have pics of mites?

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-13-2007, 11:12 PM
i dont think there mites i separated them tho, but it sorta looks like some of the scales had like scabbed but idk..

GarterGuy
09-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Definitely sounding more like some sort or bacterial or fungal scale rot. With out pics, it's rather hard to tell. Are the snakes kept on moist substrate? Did he/she have this when you got him/her? Is it something that you're just now noticing or is it something that's now getting worse? If it is getting worse, and the living conditions are all up to parr, might be time to see a vet.

drache
09-14-2007, 04:47 AM
can you post a photo?
I've had a couple of snakes that had what seems a lot like what you describe and I've been able to get them back to normal with just extra enclosure maintenance and a damp hide
it's important that their enclosures are kept clear and dry
but adding a damp hide seems to speed up the resolution of this condition
I did once look at one of the lesions with a magnifying glass and could see that not only were the scales sticking out - they were also damaged
it seems to be something like blisters or scale rot
and I don't think it's communicable

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
can you post a photo?
I've had a couple of snakes that had what seems a lot like what you describe and I've been able to get them back to normal with just extra enclosure maintenance and a damp hide
it's important that their enclosures are kept clear and dry
but adding a damp hide seems to speed up the resolution of this condition
I did once look at one of the lesions with a magnifying glass and could see that not only were the scales sticking out - they were also damaged
it seems to be something like blisters or scale rot
and I don't think it's communicable
yea it seems like that, soo what should i do and yes it just started

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-14-2007, 03:39 PM
i put him in a new enclosure with dry paper towels and put some neosporin on his spots and they affected areas are sorta turning clear and the brown is going away, so im not sure that there mites.

drache
09-15-2007, 03:34 AM
the lesions can be caused by mites, which is why it's good to keep an eye on what may turn up
it could be a number of other things too though
the fact that they're responding quickly to treatment is nice
sounds like your snake is already recovering

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-15-2007, 09:13 AM
the lesions can be caused by mites, which is why it's good to keep an eye on what may turn up
it could be a number of other things too though
the fact that they're responding quickly to treatment is nice
sounds like your snake is already recovering
yea im just gunna keep a close eye on it

KITKAT
09-15-2007, 01:41 PM
i put him in a new enclosure with dry paper towels and put some neosporin on his spots and they affected areas are sorta turning clear and the brown is going away, so im not sure that there mites.

You could be smothering mites with the neosporin, or killing bacteria. I would guess the latter, since the problem has not spread (and mites do spread!). I have seen a bacterial infection under a scale or two, and these infections usually repond well to antibiotic.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Lulu Bennett
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
that kinda sounds like what sissle had and james diagnosed him with scale rot. he told me to treat him with iodine. it has cleared up alot now and no brown scales just a few spots are still slightly damaged but should clear up withing next few sheds.
i treated sissle daily with inodine (iodine wipes from the hospital) and they worked a treat!
hope it works out

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
that kinda sounds like what sissle had and james diagnosed him with scale rot. he told me to treat him with iodine. it has cleared up alot now and no brown scales just a few spots are still slightly damaged but should clear up withing next few sheds.
i treated sissle daily with inodine (iodine wipes from the hospital) and they worked a treat!
hope it works out
would peroxide work?

adamanteus
09-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Reed, best to leave peroxide alone, it could do more harm than good. Iodine (betadine, pevadine) will do the trick. Also it is very important to keep the snakes' enclosure very clean.

Cazador
09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Reed, best to leave peroxide alone, it could do more harm than good. Iodine (betadine, pevadine) will do the trick. Also it is very important to keep the snakes' enclosure very clean.

... and DRY. Sounds like scale rot, which is a fungal infection that has more growth "within" the snake than it does outside the snake. It's like the small portion of an iceberg that is visible. Betadine and providone iodine work well as do some of the anti-fungal creams (Tinactin, Micatin, or Veltrim).

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
... and DRY. Sounds like scale rot, which is a fungal infection that has more growth "within" the snake than it does outside the snake. It's like the small portion of an iceberg that is visible. Betadine and providone iodine work well as do some of the anti-fungal creams (Tinactin, Micatin, or Veltrim).
hes doing better its almost all gone, o and nice bear takedown cazador

flakgunner
09-19-2007, 03:11 AM
hey,
they could be water blisters,Watersnakes are notorious for them,if they soak in water to long.Most new owners will put large bowls of water in there,they'll crawl in,water will run over the edges,soak the substrate,making the problem even worse.Have to keep them dry,and with in a few sheddings,the blisters will go away,but they affected scales,could be permanently damaged.

Joe