PDA

View Full Version : how much is normal for feeding?

Rook
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I know the babys eat more but Rook seems to eat an awful lot, I mean he's tiny, only 7 weeks old and yesterday alone he went through 3 minnows and a pinkie, and he hardly should have been starving when he eats every day to every other day(mostly fish). I always hear worries about snakes not eating, but is Rook over eating? or is that amount normal for a young garter?

ssssnakeluvr
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
you can overfeed them....I feed my babies twice a week, once a week if they are eating full pinkies.

drache
09-25-2007, 05:13 AM
that seems like a lot of food
is he turning into a little sausage?
that is something to be careful about
before you joined us one of my snakes had to have surgery to get a double chin removed

Lori P
09-25-2007, 05:28 AM
before you joined us one of my snakes had to have surgery to get a double chin removed

(snicker snicker) (giggle) (maniacal laughter)

Seriously?????????????

drache
09-25-2007, 06:19 AM
(snicker snicker) (giggle) (maniacal laughter)

Seriously?????????????

yes, actually true
the double chin was rather large and became inflamed and my vet went in and scraped the mess out, stitched her up and suggested a diet
there are pics of her stitches somewhere
ah - got it

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/1163-update-about-sammy-2.html

Rook
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
okay, so Rook is a little piglet lol, I shall cut him back then. in all my research I hadnt come accross a single thing about overfeeding, so I had just been offering him food when he was hungry ;p

enigma200316
09-25-2007, 08:26 AM
a good eating Garter like that will always seem hungry and will always take food, I think the general rule for feeding babies is once every four to five days,but if there taking pinkies five to seven days should be fine, this is my opinion....................:)...........good luck:D