PDA

View Full Version : Burmation?

hissy100
10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey my Snakes haven't eaten for a week and a half, are they getting ready to burmate, if so tell me how to burmate them, if not please give me some other suggestions.

ssssnakeluvr
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
some garters go off feed around this time of the year. if they refuse food for another week then they will be ready for brumation. gotta make sure they are off feed for at least 2 weeks as undigested food will ferment and kill the snakes. you can put them in a cage with a water bowl and hide box. put them in a cool place, i put mine in the garage. make sure the temps are in the 50's or 40's. any warmer they won't brumate, colder could cause problems too. leave them down for a month or 2 and check on them weekly, change the water, and watch for weight loss. small amounts of weight loss is normal, but if they are losing a lot, to the point you see skin flaps on their side, they will need to be brought out and fed. most people that breed put them down for 3 months. my smaller ones and adults that aren't gonna be bred that go off feed are brumated for a month and brought out. that usually will get them eating.

anji1971
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey, Don,
Do you have to do this with garters? I've always just fed mine a bit less often during the winter and so far they've been okay, but this brumation stuff is new to me. Am I doing something wrong??????:confused:

ssssnakeluvr
10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
no..brumation is the winter hibernation thing....if you aren't breeding them, they will be fine. just keep them warm and feed them If you are going to breed them, they will need to be brumated. i have to brumate non feeders sometimes....some of them will go off feed this time of the year. if i'm not planning on them breeding i brumate them for a month and bring them back out...helps kick in the appetite.

anji1971
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Whew! thanks for the reassurance!
Had no idea what i would have done if you'd said they did need it, since i have no place that cool anywhere in my house. Guess i would have had to ask the neighbours to borrow their garage for the winter!!!!!!:p

ssssnakeluvr
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
your welcome!!!!

zooplan
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
you donīt have a frigde in your house?
Thats what I have to use because even the celllar is never cooler than 60°F

EdgyExoticReptiles
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
that works??

you donīt have a frigde in your house?
Thats what I have to use because even the celllar is never cooler than 60°F

zooplan
10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Iīm not the only one who burmate his snakes in a refrigerator:D
You have to look for the frequently and open the door for fresh air minimum once a week.

anji1971
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Well i do have a fridge, but it's pretty full of food most of the time!!!!!! I can just see my mother-in-law coming over and going in looking for something only to find it's become a snake den:eek::eek::eek:!
However, it is good to know that works!

drache
10-10-2007, 07:22 AM
yeah
there's no space in my fridge either
Jeff's already had to put up with rodents taking up 20% of the freezer space

garterchick
10-10-2007, 08:01 AM
i've been wondering about brumation myself, it doesn't get that cold in central texas, at least not for extended periods of time. there is no room in our fridge, but i could possibly buy a small dorm-room-style fridge for the spare room, would that work? i would have to house some snakes together that aren't normaly in the same tank because i don't see getting more than a couple of rubbermaid containers in there, but i guess that's ok?

drache
10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
actually
I'm kind of curious about that as well
in our apartment that we just moved out of, there were a couple of rooms cold enough that the snakes I did have could brumate in their enclosures
but when you put them in a fridge you obviously need to put them in a smaller container and then in the fridge
for those of you who do that, how do you go about it?
do you just - after some cooling and light reduction, I assume - grab them out of their enclosure, put them in a container, and set them in the fridge?

EdgyExoticReptiles
10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
hey can i keep the two snakes i plan to breed together during burmation?

zooplan
10-11-2007, 06:20 AM
you can, but...
its better to keep them seperated and put the male back to the enclosure a few days earlier