PDA

View Full Version : Taking a fall???

Lori P
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Just had a very scary moment-- had little Squiggles, baby ball python, in my lap. She crawled up to my shoulder and then to the back of the chair, and then she FELL OFF onto the hardwood floor. I feel like SUCH AN IDIOT-- I was typing, not watching her. :-( Lesson learned.

She seems ok but I'm worried... have never addressed an issue of snakes falling... need input. I'm sure they can be seriously injured by falls.

Help!!! And feel free to yell at me, what a STUPID thing to let happen!!!!! :-(

enigma200316
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
don't worry Lori, she should be fine, just don't let it become a habit......:D

zooplan
10-17-2007, 10:40 PM
You need not to worry.
When the snake was just fed "ad libitum" a fall from 3 feet or more could cause any injuries but need not.

Lori P
10-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Thank you guys... I feel sooooo guilty. She sure hit the floor with a thunk!! She seems ok and even ate a mouse about a half hour later. So I think all is well. Sheesh.

Udo, making your calls today!! :-)

enigma200316
10-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I've seen a 5 foot Royle Python fall only about 2-3 feet and it broke its neck because the way it landed.....:( this is not usually the case, but can happen, its just better to try and prevent any snake really from falling.....
I guess what I'm saying is s**t happens,but just try and be careful....:)

anji1971
10-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Glad she's okay Lori! As for yelling at you, I'm such an amateur with snakes I'm just surprised it wasn't me who had to make this post first!!!:D

GrapefruiTgirl
10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
A while back, I had had a very bad day with my snakie, and among other things, she too fell about 3 feet or so to the hardwood floor. I felt totally horrible at myself, even while thinking of snakies I have seen out on the woodpile who have scurried kamikaze-style off of the pile when I approached.
My snakie was fine, and is fine to this day, and I'm sure yours will be fine too. There prolly are freak accidents, but luckily you nor I haven't experienced one yet.
Best we can do, is to do our best :) after all, some people drop their human (kids) too.