PDA

View Full Version : gelly feces?

larean
10-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Some time ago, my parietalis (female) started producing red gelly-like feces (or so I thought). Yesterday, on a german site, I saw exactly the same things, apparently called 'Wachseier'. Using the limited German speaking part of my brain I figured they must be eggs that hadn't been fertilized. If any of you guys have experienced this before, I would like some info... whether it's damaging for the snake etc.
Thanks a lot

P.S. I will try to post some photos next time

Stefan-A
10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
It certainly sounds like unfertilized eggs.

Gijs & Sabine
10-21-2007, 08:40 AM
We'v had that before with several subspecies from the garterfamily. There can be many reasons way they do that. I think the most important ones are: female too young, no good mating and factors that has disturb the development of the babies.

We've never had any bad experience with unfertilized eggs, so you shouldn't worry about that.
Maybe you can tell us more about your parietalis, how old is she, does she have a male with her, things like that.

Btw. welcome to this forum, another Dutch member !!! Way to go :D
ps. maybe you could introduce yourself in the welcome lounge;)

adamanteus
10-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes, it sounds like unfertilized eggs. Don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as they have all been passed. You might want to gently feel along the snakes belly to ensure there are no 'jelly beans' left in there.

larean
10-21-2007, 09:44 AM
@ Gijs & Sabine: I already did that (didn't I?!).
She's 5 years old and hasn't got a male.
Thanks for the info! I don't think there's a risk of any eggs still being inside her: her feces smell as bad as ever:)

brandon0133
10-21-2007, 02:03 PM
mine does the same thing,,looks like 1 inch long jelly,,,black color,,,,i thought it was poop,,,,maybe it is,,,dont know,,anyone?

adamanteus
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Can you post a photo, Brandon?

ssssnakeluvr
10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
My florida blue has done that 2 years in a row..thown jelly beans. make sure to feel and see that theya ll passed, my t s fitchi had a couple not pass, blocked her up, and i lost her. My t e terrestris threw one last summer....she hasn't had a male to breed with in 3 years...and he died coming out of hibernation and didn't breed!

drache
10-22-2007, 03:53 AM
d'you think it's something like the false pregnancies mammals can have?
we had a mare once who had those a couple of years in a row
no stud - no final product, but all the symptoms of carrying

ScimitarX
10-22-2007, 05:53 AM
My parietalis did exactly the same thing last year, just before i joined this forum. There was lots of little yellow jelly blobs, she was perfectly fine afterwards. I didnt think she'd been with a male, at the time she was living with oregon red spot of unknown sex, i thought it was a female due to its size but i guess it couldve been a male.