PDA

View Full Version : When should I be concerned?

Beautifylgirl
11-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I just wanted to know when I should be concerned that my snake hasn't eaten? It's been a couple weeks since 'it' (verdict is still out) at. I normally feed fish because that's all I have avalible at the moment and 'it' really was enjoying hunting for them. But recently 'it' hasn't been interested. I finally took the fish out of her feeding dish and put them back in the fishtank. Should I start looking for worms outside, I may look tomorrow in the garden ( or whats left of it ) or should I go buy some frozen pinkies? I've never tried pinkies before so I don't exactly know how to feed them. Should they be completly defrosted or ??? I'm just not sure.
Monday I'm hoping my reptile vet should be in but I figured I'd ask here before I go bug her again. ( I've had 3 pets in the last 2 weeks into see her, problem children....:( )

If you all could give me some imput that would be great.
Thank you all,
Brittany

Cazador
11-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Brittany,
I just looked through your old posts and didn't see anything to suggest that your snake had any other problems. Since you've had it for about 5 months, and it doesn't seem to have given you feeding problems before, it sounds like it just wants to brumate. To be sure, I'll give you a brief list of things to look for to ensure it's healthy before you put it down for brumation.

- Has its cage been kept clean?
- Any signs that it's preparing to shed?
- Does it gape its mouth when breathing?
- Does it always seem to have its head raised (pointing upward)?
- Does it have a ticking sound when breathing?
- Does it have any mucous around its mouth?
- Has it vomited?
- Have you seen any blood in its stool?
- Is the vent discolored or have mucous, puss, or dried feces around it?
- Are there any blisters, bumps, or raised scales?
- Does its stool have a whitish crystalline portion and a semi-solid brownish/blackish portion (since you're feeding fish), or is it runny and discolored?
- Snakes that eat worms and fish normally have foul smelling stool, but is it REALLY foul smelling?
- Is there a hard, bulge anterior to (in front of) the vent (suggesting constipation)?
- Wipe it down with a wet, white paper towel. Do you see mites crawling around?
- Does it look malnourished?
- Does it feel strong and look healthy? Its a very good sign if it isn't eating for this long but still appears healthy.
- Is the snake alert? Does it react by either tensing up or darting when you open its pen? These are good signs.
- Is it lethargic?
- Has it been trying to hide more often?
- Does it constantly cruise its pen (constant motion)?
- Does it flick its tongue when you blow on its head or when you introduce a new odor (even food)?
- Have you been feeding it goldfish, exclusively?
- What kind of temperature and photoperiod does it experience?

These questions are for your benefit. There's no need to answer them online unless you notice a problem. If there isn't a problem, your snake is probably ready to do what fitchi normally do this time of year... brumate. Unless your answers make you concerned, or unless it is preparing to shed, I'd just continue dropping the temp and photoperiod. Make sure it has plenty of hiding places, and put it away for the winter. People all over the place have been noticing the same thing with their snakes, and you'll see more people with the same concerns in the near future. Inappetance is completely normal for this time of year. Talk to you soon,
Rick

Beautifylgirl
11-19-2006, 12:06 AM
- Has its cage been kept clean? yes
- Any signs that it's preparing to shed? no
- Does it gape its mouth when breathing? bo
- Does it always seem to have its head raised (pointing upward)? no
- Does it have a ticking sound when breathing? no
- Does it have any mucous around its mouth?no
- Has it vomited?no
- Have you seen any blood in its stool? no
- Is the vent discolored or have mucous, puss, or dried feces around it?no
- Are there any blisters, bumps, or raised scales? no
- Does its stool have a whitish crystalline portion and a semi-solid brownish/blackish portion (since you're feeding fish), or is it runny and discolored? whitish and semi solid
- Snakes that eat worms and fish normally have foul smelling stool, but is it REALLY foul smelling? no
- Is there a hard, bulge anterior to (in front of) the vent (suggesting constipation)? no
- Wipe it down with a wet, white paper towel. Do you see mites crawling around? no
- Does it look malnourished? no
- Does it feel strong and look healthy? Its a very good sign if it isn't eating for this long but still appears healthy. yes
- Is the snake alert? Does it react by either tensing up or darting when you open its pen? These are good signs. yes
- Is it lethargic? no
- Does it constantly cruise its pen (constant motion)?yes, normally searching for a place to burrow. I just added more burrowing material today so I hope that makes it feel a little better, it is deeper now about 1 and 1/2 inches deep in the deepest spot.
- Does it flick its tongue when you blow on its head or when you introduce a new odor (even food)? yes
- Have you been feeding it goldfish, exclusively?no, I did try worms, it didn't take to those very well. I also had wild caught trout, perch, crappy ( or cropy?), bass and any other small fish I caught in the lake. It really liked trout but they're harder to catch. ( this summer/fall)
- What kind of temperature and photoperiod does it experience? temperature is between 60 at night and about 65-70 during the day depending on outside temps and our heating. I have no insulation in the walls so if I have the heat on 65 and it's sunny it get to be around 70-75 inside.

I am just worried because when I was younger.. well 10+ years ago. I had a snake pass away in the middle of winter and it was very heartbreaking for alittle kid and I want to be extra careful this time.
Thank you.
Brittany

Cazador
11-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Hi Brittany,
It sounds like your snake is in great shape and just wants to slow down for the winter. I haven't seen studies on this, but I SUSPECT that the greatest killers of captive snakes during brumation are sudden drops in temperature and succombing to parasitism (including running out of energy supplies due to their parasitic load). You could probably throw old age and predation (among wild snakes) in there too, if you want.

If you're not going to breed your snake, just put it down for about a month (maybe six weeks; as long as you can stand ;-). Then warm it back up to its normal temperature over a period of several days to a week. Some people will tell you just to put it back in its cage at room temperature whenever you're ready, and that probably works for a lot of people, too. It's just not what I recommend.

Cazador
11-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I should have mentioned that "constant" motion is not a good thing, but I suspect that you meant it moves frequently. If it is doing non-stop laps of the terrarium, it could imply that there is a problem (perhaps temperature or psychological/stress related). Frequent motion is a good thing, though.
Rick

Beautifylgirl
11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Cazador,
Yes the snake moves around the tank. Not constantly, but on an average of how she ( I finally found out ) normally moves. She's not moving any more or less than normal. I have also added more substance to the floor of the tank and she is very happy burrowing.Thanks all,
Brittany