PDA

View Full Version : YAY!!!! and a slight problem, too...

anji1971
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Stitch ate!! I went out this evening and rounded up some slugs, and boy did that ever go over well!! He went right after it, and BAM! Gone, just like that! That slug didn't even have time to get him all slimy.

HOWEVER.........I have one more mild night to gather up these little critters, but I'm not at all sure how to store slugs for the winter. Do they keep just like worms?
Right now I have them in a jar with some dead leaves, is this okay?? What the heck do slugs eat, anyway? Do they need dirt,too? Do I keep them in the fridge??
Does anyone here know???:confused::confused::confused:
HELP!!!:eek:

KITKAT
11-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Not sure what slugs might need for keeping indoors, but I do know enough about them to give an educated guess.

First, they eat fresh and decaying plant matter. People who raise HOSTAS, for example, are always fighting them because they chew holes in the leaves. So I would try fresh leaf lettuce, spinach, or "spring mix" as a food.

I think refridgerating just to store a few (not trying to culture them) might work, on moistened paper towels, in a gladware box.

zooplan
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Congratulations Anji,

to store some slugs this should work well:
take a box with one or two inch of soil, an old pice of shelf or bark
Look for hight humidity and feed them with cucumber, salat leaves...
Place the box at a cold but not freezing place

good luck

CrazyHedgehog
11-20-2007, 04:46 AM
oh no...that brings back nightmares....

Lori P
11-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Congrats on him feeding Anji!! :-) Inge, lol, try not to think slimy thoughts... :-)

drache
11-20-2007, 06:00 AM
congrats Anji
perhaps you could keep your slugs in the bathroom - like this guy
Hate housework? Can't find a reliable cleaner? Try a slug. (http://www.anapsid.org/slugcleaner.html)

Odie
11-20-2007, 06:26 AM
Midge, can't get enuff slugs :D

Lori P
11-20-2007, 07:11 AM
congrats Anji
perhaps you could keep your slugs in the bathroom - like this guy
Hate housework? Can't find a reliable cleaner? Try a slug. (http://www.anapsid.org/slugcleaner.html)

That's IT!! I keep trying to tell Jamie that there is an EXCELLENT reason that we have dogs, cats, goats, turkeys, and the occasional donkey strolling thru the house on any given day!! Now I have proof that the animals do indeed have jobs to do in the house! Er, well, ok, this article doesn't exactly mention four legged, feathered or hoofed friends but I'm sure he can see the point.... :D

anji1971
11-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Ha-Ha!! Denis found that article a little while back when I was complaining about all the slugs in my garden(and probably about how much I hate cleaning the bathroom too!)
I suppose if I get really desperate I can sprinkle them around the sides of the tub........... :D

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far!

anji1971
11-20-2007, 08:13 AM
oh no...that brings back nightmares....

Oooohhhh, I remember reading about your slug trauma!! Poor Inge, hope you don't have too many horrid dreams because of this reminder!;)

salzar
11-20-2007, 09:07 AM
been feeding sal slugs too, there hard to keep over the winter if you live in the northeast, but I use a empty plastic box with holes in it and dead leaves they eat them as well as mushrooms too, dead leaves work very well and I store them in the celler where its not to cold but cold enuff to keep them fresh, I have also noticed that there are 2 kinds of slugs there are this type that are grayish brown, he eats them like crazy, but the ones that are black/drk brown he will not touch at all even if he is starving, he would rather eat cut up worms, so there might be something in them that they do not like . it might also be the fact that the slugs become fat and to big for his small mouth and the grey ones do not do this they appear longer and less likley to compact them selfs.
bye
michelle

adamanteus
11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Anji, slugs are actually omnivorous and will take certain carrion in addition to plant matter. I watched one a couple of days ago eating a crushed snail off my front garden path.... lovely!

Stefan-A
11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
That's why you're not supposed to crush them if you have a snail problem in your garden. :)

adamanteus
11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I didn't crush it delberately. I guess it must have been called Holly!;)

Cazador
11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Anj,

Since your supply of Canadian slugs is rapidly coming to an end, be sure to use the ones you have to scent other food items, and get your snake accustomed to eating other things. I'd try to wash some fish chunks and spread some of that slug slime all over it. Just play around with it, and have fun experimenting with different food sources (for the snakes, that is). Best,

Rick

CrazyHedgehog
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I didn't crush it delberately. I guess it must have been called Holly!;)
lol very funny

anji1971
11-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Anj,

Since your supply of Canadian slugs is rapidly coming to an end, be sure to use the ones you have to scent other food items, and get your snake accustomed to eating other things. I'd try to wash some fish chunks and spread some of that slug slime all over it. Just play around with it, and have fun experimenting with different food sources (for the snakes, that is). Best,

Rick

MMMMM.............my favourite winter pastime -- playing in slug slime!!! He'd darn well better eat fish if I have to do that!