PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Common Garter Snakes

reganngo
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
:confused: guys can you xplain to me or send me a picture of a opposite sex because im pretty confused with thier tails because i want to know if what i bought either if its a male or a female:confused:

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-20-2007, 01:11 AM
the females tail is thick and gets smaller very quickly after the vent and males tail is usually skinnier and gets smaller after the vent a lot slower, if u want to know for sure post pics of you snakes underbelly of the vent and below and well tell you take a look at this
this is a large female
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/1121-i-suck-part-1-a.html
and a male:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/1134-i-suck-part-2-a.html

:confused: guys can you xplain to me or send me a picture of a opposite sex because im pretty confused with thier tails because i want to know if what i bought either if its a male or a female:confused:

reganngo
11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
thanks my friend now i know wwhat sex should i buy :cool:cool.... your a really great help:D

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-20-2007, 01:31 AM
no problem they cant be visually sexed very young though i would say around 12-14" is when you can start accurately sexing them but the larger they are the easier is usually is

thanks my friend now i know wwhat sex should i buy :cool:cool.... your a really great help:D

Rook
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
well that was helpful,lol comparing Rook to those pics "he" is most defiantly a SHE. makes sence too, according to the behaviours I read up on attributed to males vs females, Rook fits the Female description lol

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
ya shes even already as fat as my 17 inch male

well that was helpful,lol comparing Rook to those pics "he" is most defiantly a SHE. makes sence too, according to the behaviours I read up on attributed to males vs females, Rook fits the Female description lol

salzar
11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
okay now how bought a brown snake, this also applys?? sal has been packing on the ounces and eating everything insight!
I am asuming he is a male , he has been eating everyday for a week and is really fat, the temps have been the same and I have no other snakes at the time , so no hanky panky , will have to post pix of his vent as well , thanks
too!!
not that it really matters but would be nice to know!!
bye
michelle

anji1971
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Actually, I wouldn't mind knowing if the Dekays are sexed the same way, either!
Anyone know? I've been assuming Stitch is a boy, but hey, if I'm wrong, I'd like to know!!;)

anji1971
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
And Michelle, mine has been eating like crazy lately too! Wonder if it's the time of year, or what? I hope he calms down soon or I'm going to run out of slugs and worms before winter's over!

salzar
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
yea .. me too I have this one worm I have been taking segments from for a week now and he is still alive so I will have to go to walmart to get some more for him soon!!
to funny , he should be hibernating now right well he must think its spring, heeee
I did give hin a look out side at the snow all white outside made him curl tightly in my hand, he touched the window with his tounge and deffenatly did not like it!
to funny!!
he sure is spending a lot of time on his hot rock too!!
and drinking lots of water,
he is a doll just love the little guy. I even talk to him and tell him hes a pretty baby!!
of course he hears nothing , kinda like my husband!!!
bye
michelle

achoth
12-10-2007, 12:10 AM
This is Tread, and judging from all of your posts I'd say he's a boy. Am I right? And can anyone tell me what kind of garter he is? Thanx!

adamanteus
12-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus.

ssssnakeluvr
12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
not quite the best shots for sexing...but looks like a male. and its and oregon red spot garter....t sirtalis concinnus...

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-10-2007, 11:26 PM
i think its a guy too

not quite the best shots for sexing...but looks like a male. and its and oregon red spot garter....t sirtalis concinnus...

Odie
12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
i think its a guy too
Dose not have a Bullit nose :o

achoth
12-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanx everyone! I thought Tread was a guy, but I wanted to be sure. As for the picture, I was doing it wrong. Here's the same picture, only better!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Tread_11.JPG
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Tread_05.JPG
I hope I did it right this time. What does it mean that he doesn't have a Bullit nose?

Odie
12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
To me females have a nose like a bullit train :)
Were as the male has a nose like a TGV :rolleyes: