PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation?

br0k3nl0v3r
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
How do I tell if my Garter Snake is hibernating?

Today I came home from school and he was tangled slightly in the corner of his cage. His tail was up on a branch like thing I had in his cage. I assumed he died and took him out of the cage. He was very stiff and he smelled like a dead animal. Not to be sick...but,he did. So,I think he died. My dad says all reptiles smell but,I don't think like that. The furnace in my house went out last night and was not working,so,it did get quite cold. I did not have the heating mat on last night due to my cell phone being charged. Can someone PLEASE help me?

adamanteus
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Candace, if he appears dead, is stiff and he smells bad, I think he is probably dead. If he was only brumating (hibernating) you would still get some rsponse from him when you handled him. Sorry.

br0k3nl0v3r
01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Awwww. That's so sad :'(

adamanteus
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I know, and I'm really sorry.:o:( Please make sure that I'm right though, before you dispose of the body.... remember I haven't seen him, I'm only going off what you have written.

Stefan-A
01-24-2008, 03:21 PM
James is right, your garter is indeed dead. Sorry. :( Wouldn't want to speculate on what it was that killed him, though.

br0k3nl0v3r
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I have him in a coffee can. My dad told me maybe he was hibernating and told me to keep him ad maybe he'd snap out of it...

drache
01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
sorry about your bad news, Candace

adamanteus
01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm so sorry that your first reason to post on the forum was with such bad news. I hope you'll stay around and maybe one day get another Garter Snake. There are plenty of people here who are more than willing to help you get things right and share their knowledge with you. Too bad that he died, Candace.:(

Sid
01-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Also sorry to hear the bad news.

anji1971
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry about your loss. :(

ontariogarter
08-24-2008, 08:31 AM
It's quite surprising that anyone in North America would keep a garter snake as a pet, since they are an indigenous species found in the wild here. They belong wild and free, not cooped up in a house. This is just inhumane. I'm sorry for your loss, but that it died of hypothermia because your cell phone was more important than keeping the snake warm, and that you can't even recognize when the animal is dead pretty well underscores that you really oughtn't to have any more snakes as pets. Please leave garter snakes alone.

ontariogarter
08-24-2008, 08:41 AM
My earlier post appears to have been deleted. I stated that I didn't think it was right that someone in North America would keep an indigenous species such as a garter snake normally found in the wild, as a pet. Further the fact that this person would choose to charge their cell phone over keeping the snake warm, and doesn't recognize a basic biological state such as death in their "pet" underscores that they are not qualified to have a snake as a pet. This is a post on behalf of snakes, which is what this group is about, yes? If so, then please on behalf of snakes everywhere, do not delete this.
I no longer have snakes as pets but did as a child when my father brought one home from a pet store. It didn't smell. We have garter snakes in our back yard which we enjoy watching and it is troubling to learn that they are kept as pets when they belong wild and free.

Garter_Gertie
08-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, Lover, I'm so very sorry. I doubt it was the lack of warmth - unless that was a contributing factor - that cause your little snake to die. It's been getting chilly at night here and both my snake tanks have gotten down to the high 60's for the past two nights with no ill effects on my garters and Hoggies but for being sluggish until the tanks warm up with the light turned on.

Such a sad way to find us, but I'm glad you did. Hopefully you'll get a new garter and as James said many people here will be glad to help you.

Garter_Gertie
08-24-2008, 01:06 PM
:o Whoops! Just realized the date when this thread began.

GartersRock
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Ooops. Messing thus up. lol!

GartersRock
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
It's quite surprising that anyone in North America would keep a garter snake as a pet, since they are an indigenous species found in the wild here. They belong wild and free, not cooped up in a house. This is just inhumane. I'm sorry for your loss, but that it died of hypothermia because your cell phone was more important than keeping the snake warm, and that you can't even recognize when the animal is dead pretty well underscores that you really oughtn't to have any more snakes as pets. Please leave garter snakes alone.

Uh... Wow... I am sure someone else will respond to this well. I probably shouldn't... If you know what I mean. ;)

Stefan-A
08-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Uh... Wow... I am sure someone else will respond to this well. I probably shouldn't... If you know what I mean. ;)
No point in responding, the person probably just needed to vent.

infernalis
08-25-2008, 04:09 AM
No point in responding, the person probably just needed to vent.

And considering the nature of the post, probably would not be interested in any form of justification one of us could respond with....

Garter_Gertie
08-25-2008, 05:51 AM
That's what I thought, Wayne. Like, "Okay. Whatever." Not on my radar any longer. Only thing I could think of to say and figured it was all water over the damn, was better to keep a native species in case of a mistake along the lines of one getting out in the wild - even if a New Yawkur in MN - than a boa in FL. Native's best. And krikey! the hotels I've got my guys in! Too, mine are CBs.

So, like how about them Twins? LOL!

jitami
08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Ah, I've written and deleted in this little box a few times now... I agree with the statement that we should enjoy them in the wild, but I don't think that statement excludes them from being wonderful pets. Yes they should be better cared for than the poor snake in this post(from JANUARY), but that doesn't mean that they can't be loved and cared for in captivity just like any other pet. My female dog would love to live wild and free, but I care *just barely* enough for the safety of the neighborhood children to not let that happen :D

Oh, and as you can see, your first post wasn't deleted, there's just a bit of a delay in posting for new members to prevent spam. Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around and see that most of us love these snakes like we love our children :)

Snake lover 3-25
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
sorry for your loss:(

interesting.... peta???:eek:

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Lol... Peta... I hate peta. :D

infernalis
08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Lol... Peta... I hate peta. :D

What is wrong with People Eating Tasty Animals

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
:D Nothing at all. :D

jitami
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Um, yeah, but don't mention other snakes eating garter babies... no wonder this forum has been a little slow lately :D

infernalis
08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Tami have you been reading that other forum again?:D

Garter_Gertie
08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
She must'a. I have. What a bone-head. Like I'd condone breeding my babies (which is Thamnophis s.s.) FOR FEEDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like get a life. Go breed rabbits or pinny gigs or whatever. But NOT MY KIDS! What a jerk.

Snake lover 3-25
08-25-2008, 05:39 PM
ICK!!!!! who was doing that???!!!!!!:eek:

jitami
08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Tami have you been reading that other forum again?:D

I started out there :) and Sly probably owes his life to that forum. lol

I try not to get too emotional about that kind of stuff, cause some cute wittle mousie breeder would probably freak out over the fact that I have a bag of dead newborns in my freezer and just rubbed a live worm all over one of them and then stabbed it through the head til brain juice ran out.

Geez, I've gotten jaded... lol... Little Ms. Ella ate the worm, thank you very much, but even after braining the pink she's skippin desert. I know it's way early in the game to even worry about what she's eating... just thought I'd try. :rolleyes:

Editted to say.... Guess who ate her pinky after all??? YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about that on the other place. :D *off to go look*

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh wow.... Thats alot of posts in there. *off to read them all and see whats up...*

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh my. lol!!

Garter_Gertie
08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
So, like... I ask'ya. How many garters should I get? How many Hoggies?

I want as many colors o'garters as I can get my mitts on. Furshure.

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Hmmm.... I personally am just getting one by one until the time comes where I think it's to much... lol!!

Garter_Gertie
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, I've my 90 gal in which I want to have my Garter Haven. If I can keep like 4-5 happily in a 20 long gal... JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MANY I CAN HAVE IN MY 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reptile3
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh wow.... Thats alot of posts in there. *off to read them all and see whats up...*

Okay, I don't have the slightest Idea what other group you all are talking about.... I am nosey, what is the link to the other group!!!

remember I am new!! ha ha thanks!

Garter_Gertie
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Link to other group?

I missed something.

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I've my 90 gal in which I want to have my Garter Haven. If I can keep like 4-5 happily in a 20 long gal... JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MANY I CAN HAVE IN MY 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!! Whoo!