PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK..

SerpentGirl
03-01-2008, 04:06 AM
.. to feed a ribbon snake sardines? Just curious, I haven't done it, but I saw sardines, and it made me wonder.

ssssnakeluvr
03-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't....most sardines are processed and packed in oil or spices....not the best for snakes

GarterGuy
03-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Also aren't sardines on of the fish on they do not feed list because of thiaminase? Better off sticking with guppies, platies or fillet of trout or salmon.

adamanteus
03-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I agree, best to avoid any processed fish.

Stefan-A
03-01-2008, 03:14 PM
If we're talking about the fresh kind and not the processed kind, then the only thing to look out for, should be thiaminase.

gregmonsta
03-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I would only say yes to fresh if there was additional vitamin supplementation and after boiling the sardines for five minutes or more.

KITKAT
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Each paragraph below is a quote from a different website. Put the information together, and you get the result that Sardines ***DO*** contain thiaminase, but herring do not. Some sardines sold for human consumption are actual sardines, while others are herring. Therefore, since labelling does not reveal which species of fish is in the package, I would advise garter keepers to avoid anything labelled sardine. However, if you are able to purchase Herring, labelled as such, it is one of the species that does NOT contain thiaminase.

---------website quotes------------

Six species of sardine are generally recognized: five in the Pacific and Indian Oceans (Sardinops species) and Sardinia pilchardus in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. In 1998 US researchers announced, following analysis of mitochondrial DNA from the Sardinops species, that they were in fact probably widely dispersed regional populations of the same species, rather than different species.

The sardine, or pilchard, is an ocean going fish well known for traveling in large groups, or schools. The sardine is related to the herring, and sometimes canned fish labeled as sardine is actually herring.

Some species of fish belonging to the sardine and anchovy families contain enzymes that degrade thiamin contained in the trash fish itself.

Serpentine99
03-01-2008, 11:07 PM
interesting, how such closely resembling fish can have completely different effects on some animals.

Stefan-A
03-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Even closely related species can be different. IIRC, species from the genus Coregonus appear on both lists. Apparently one species contains thiaminase, another doesn't.

SerpentGirl
03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will just continue to feed him guppies, platys & salmon. He really enjoys the salmon. :)

lampy
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Does a ribbon absolutely need fish? Mine is on pinkies at the mo and seems pretty happy on them, or as last nite dangling on the side of my finger lol

Stefan-A
03-04-2008, 08:07 AM
It probably doesn't need fish, but I suspect that it would be healthier for garters in general to be on a mixed diet.