PDA

View Full Version : Separate scales

Haerodiel
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
So Aidas is my snake who I have been having feeding troubles with (another story, but he hasn't eaten in three weeks I've had him, so if anyone has advise I'm for that) But he has anther problem, and I don't know if it has anything to do with eating or not. On his underside, two of the scales and it looks like part of his skin is separating.

I first saw it when the scale on top of it started "peeling off," but the "peeling" scale was gone when he shed. But now the skin on top of it is gone, but it still doesn't look very good, so does anyone know what this is and what I can do? Aidas wasn't coorporating with me when I was trying to take a picture of it, and he wasn't very happy with me. But I got it, and I have a picture of his old skin for a size comparision on how big he is. (I was being very careful, although it doesn't look like it in the picture)

Oh, and he's a Dekay's that's a little over 7 in. long. :) Thanks!

Stefan-A
03-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to sound like a complete douche, but.. cloaca?

adamanteus
03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking.... or is it a split in the ventral side, like a wound?

Haerodiel
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
It's up by his head, his head is between my 2 fingers. And it's definatly on the bottom, not side.

adamanteus
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
In that case it's a lesion or split of some kind. A visit to the vet might be a good idea.

Haerodiel
03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
*sigh* I wouldn't mind a trip to the vet at all, I'd be very ready to in fact. My mom, on the other hand, hates snakes and hates the fact that I have one. She refuses to spend any money on it, hesitant to give me a decent tank for this guy, and it was a pain just getting her to get me to the pet store to ask if they had any advise for food or how I should care for him (and it was my dad that ended up taking me in the end). I'd rush to the vet now if I could, but I can't imagine getting my mom to let me. It would cost something for them to tell me what it is and what to do about it, wouldn't it?

adamanteus
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Then perhaps a little bit of home remedy is called for....You need to keep the area clean. Perhaps remove whatever substrate you're using now and replace it with kitchen paper. You don't want any infection getting into that wound. Maybe treat the cut with pevidine or similar antiseptic.

Haerodiel
03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I did a search for 'pevidine' and google wanted to correct it to 'povidine.' They both gave me results that looked good, soI don't know if they are two different things or the same thing and 'pevindine' is spelled incorrectly.

Haerodiel
03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
My dad's never heard of it, so I'm betting we don't have any. I can probably buy some if it's necesary, but I saw somewhere else that someone was putting neosporin on a wound, would that work?

adamanteus
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Neosporin is just as good.

Haerodiel
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Ok. Thanks!