PDA

View Full Version : Visible obesity...

Zephyr
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I've come across this pic numerous times and was wondering: Is THIS an obese snake?
http://ngaherps.com.previewyoursite.com/Plains.JPG
As in, an example of what should be avoided.

GartersRock
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I would think so. I really can't stand overweight animals. I keep all my animals (2 dogs, turtle and all the snakes) at as ideal a weight as possible. For some people thats skinny. I think they are just used to overweight...
But yeah. I would say thats obese.
Is that one of Scotts snakes from the Reptiles article? He looks like a "halter" quarter horse. lol! (Another thing I can't stand for you who are horse people)

ssssnakeluvr
03-28-2008, 11:18 PM
that's one of Scott's older breeders. she is a little on the large side...

adamanteus
03-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Yes, that snake is overweight. You can see it particularly in the neck region.

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Double chin?

I don't think garters are supposed to be shaped like puff adders either. ;)

Zephyr
03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I noticed the neck and literally said:
"...Double chin?"
I've noticed that healthy garters have a little pudge around the neck, but to me that's a little overkill.

Lori P
03-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Is that one of Scotts snakes from the Reptiles article? He looks like a "halter" quarter horse. lol! (Another thing I can't stand for you who are horse people)

Oh, amen to that!!! One of the girls I work with is a QH person and she's always showing me pics of her friends' halter horses... and I just can't find them even remotely attractive.

As for the snake, ahhhh, yeah, even I can see she's a bit pudgy. Good idea to show us, Kyle, that tells me what to look for!!

anji1971
03-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Yep, that's definitely a chubby one!!
Deejay almost began to look like that for a bit, but as soon as I noticed her chin starting to hang down, I cut back on her food, and now she looks just right!
Certainly a good thing to watch out for.

zooplan
03-29-2008, 07:20 AM
obesity or good condition?
Thats hard to tell.
I know that lots of Scotts females are in a similar condition.
His homepage is full of pictures like this.
He has good breeding success for years, but I donīt can tell anything about the average age of his snakes.
I think the photo is from his oldest breeder, died in an age of 9 years.

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Yep, that's definitely a chubby one!!
Deejay almost began to look like that for a bit, but as soon as I noticed her chin starting to hang down, I cut back on her food, and now she looks just right!
Certainly a good thing to watch out for.
My vagrans twins had a period when the white markings, that are usually only visible when the skin is stretched, were visible all the time.

They were still growing, so the problem solved itself.

anji1971
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Hmmm, I never really thought about them doing that while growing. Deejay did go on a major growth spurt in the last few months........I'll keep an eye on that. :)

Zephyr
03-29-2008, 11:39 AM
So, ultimately, the effects of snake obesity are premature death and liver failure, correct?
Like I said, I notice a bit of pudge on some of my snakes and strive for it in all of my specimens, but that's just ridiculous.

enigma200316
03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
yeah thats deff. over the top but I think your snakes should have a little gurth especially when brumating...........:)