PDA

View Full Version : garter snake foods question

bulrush
04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I have a large amount of certain insects in my yard in the summer. I just learned that garter snakes like slugs a lot. Will they eat the following things: earwigs, rolly pollies (isopods), box elder beetles.

In the winter I have extra live red cherry shrimp. Will they eat those too? They seem to eat minnows. RCS max size are 1 inch long.

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
garters cannot digest insects beacuse of the exoskeleton, they eat slugs and worms though, and remember minnows contain thimianese so feed other food items

I have a large amount of certain insects in my yard in the summer. I just learned that garter snakes like slugs a lot. Will they eat the following things: earwigs, rolly pollies (isopods), box elder beetles.

In the winter I have extra live red cherry shrimp. Will they eat those too? They seem to eat minnows. RCS max size are 1 inch long.

ssssnakeluvr
04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
as Reed said, they can't digest insects. over the winter, you can buy salmon and rainbow trout, cut into small chunks, and freeze it for when you want to feed. they probably couldn't digest the shrimp's exoskeletons either. they also eat rodents....depending on size. you would probably have to scent the rodents with fish to help get them to eat them.