PDA

View Full Version : Won't eat on its own

sschind
01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
My wholesaler just gave me a baby eastern "flame" garter that will not eat on its own. Once you get a guppy into its mouth (or a mouse tail like I did today) it will take it down but she said she leaves guppies in the cage all the time and it never its it. It's a sibling to the melanistic easterns I have but its maybe only twice as big as a newborn. I haven't tried worms yet as the only ones I can get right now are the leaf worms from the bait shop. I was wondering if it could have a problem with its sense of smell. It flicks it's tongue but just seem to be phased by the presence of food. Any suggestions.

abcat1993
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I would definitely try worms and pinkies first. Who knows, maybe it'll like pinkies more than fish.

sschind
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I would definitely try worms and pinkies first. Who knows, maybe it'll like pinkies more than fish.

Its way too small for pinkies, the mouse tail was even pushing it. He didn't go for that either so I don't think pinkies are it. Does anyone know if larger sporting goods shops (gander mt. etc.) might carry safe worms. All the local bait shops have the leaf worms and red wigglers. They do have nightcrawlers but even the smallest ones are twice as big as the snake. I could try chopping one up I suppose.

GarterGuy
01-09-2007, 10:47 PM
One thing I found that can work is giving it the guppies outside of the water dish. Sometimes the sight of a little fish flopping all over the place gets them interested. Don't know what substate you're using, but make sure it's something that won't get all over the guppy, like paper towels or such. Also try very small guppies....I know with my T.ordiniodes, one of them would pick up bigger guppies and then not know what to do with them. The smaller ones that pretty much just fit in his mouth entirely, he'd eat with out any problems. Hope this helps...babies can be such a challenge....he acutally just might come along on his own with time?

---Roy

Cazador
01-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Hey Steve,
The moving/flopping fish sounds like a good idea. If it's sense of smell is impaired, then maybe the visual stimulus will help. Does the snake come over to investigate the smell?

Otherwise, the next time you're having steak for dinner, try cutting off a thin strip before you cook it. Then try introducing the meat to your snake. Put a bit of calcium powder on one end, and see if your snake will swallow that, like it does to the guppies. The meat is more nutritious, and will last in it's stomach a bit longer. It may help your snake grow faster, as well, without having to feed it as often. A bit of variation is always a good idea, too. Maybe when it's larger, it will eat better. It's also possible that due to the intense inbreeding among flames that you've just been given an unfit snake that'll take a lot of pampering.
Rick

Snaky
01-10-2007, 03:44 AM
My concinnus are eating now and the flapping fish did the trick, so that's certainly worth a try. If they take the flapping fish, you can try and give other things, scented with the fish.

Markus18
01-10-2007, 12:33 PM
one of my parietalis dont eat dead fish.just when he jump then she goes and get him!

abcat1993
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't really remember Gander Mountain much, but I'm pretty sure that Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Dicks, etc. don't have nightcrawlers (although I've never really looked).

CrazyHedgehog
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Otherwise, the next time you're having steak for dinner, try cutting off a thin strip before you cook it. Then try introducing the meat to your snake.

Can you really feed beef to garters? I can get that cheaper than trout or mice!!

sschind
01-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Hey Steve,
The moving/flopping fish sounds like a good idea. If it's sense of smell is impaired, then maybe the visual stimulus will help. Does the snake come over to investigate the smell?

Otherwise, the next time you're having steak for dinner, try cutting off a thin strip before you cook it. Then try introducing the meat to your snake. Put a bit of calcium powder on one end, and see if your snake will swallow that, like it does to the guppies. The meat is more nutritious, and will last in it's stomach a bit longer. It may help your snake grow faster, as well, without having to feed it as often. A bit of variation is always a good idea, too. Maybe when it's larger, it will eat better. It's also possible that due to the intense inbreeding among flames that you've just been given an unfit snake that'll take a lot of pampering.
Rick

Steak, what's steak? Will Ramen Noodles work?.

Like I said, at least I think I said, this is a sibling to the melanistic easterns I have and they are pounding scented fuzzys twice a week. They are supposed to be het for flame, I am not down with the genetics of the different garter snake morphs. Do you know if melanism is a reccesive trait, how about the flame?

Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep trying.

Cazador
01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Crazyhedgehog,
I feed my snakes thin strips of steak all the time, but I often add mineral/vitamin/calcium supplements. Check out this thread for some pictures (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/233-just-some-pics.html?highlight=pictures).

Steve,
:D Ramen noodles :D ! Melanism is a recessive trait, but I'm not sure about the flame trait. I've never had any. I bet ssssnakeluvr would know.
Rick

CrazyHedgehog
01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Brilliant pics...thats cool, I now have an alternative food source, I am sure variety is good!