PDA

View Full Version : Fungus Gnats.... and a question

Beautifylgirl
02-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Okay, so last week my mother in law sent me some flowers for the house, which unfortunately had fungus gnats on them and now I've noticed I have fungus gnats from them in my snake tank. I don't think it's a huge problem, but since my snake is in the process of shedding I don't want to stress her out. Do you think it's okay to wait until she's done shedding to remove all the substrate/bleach tank out/ apply fresh beddin or should I do it all right now? The earliest I would get it done would be tomorrow. I have not found anything on the web saying that fungus gnats are harmful, but I figured I should ask.
Also, what is a another good type of bedding for her? I really like the 'natural' looking stuff so any ideas?

Thanks.
Brittany

Thamnophis
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
When there is fungus in your tank it might be to moist.
Donīt wait till it has shed, but clean the tank. Wash it out with hot water and make sure it is dry when you put the snake back in.
Fungus (maybe not every species) can make your snake ill. Can cause skinproblems and lungproblems, I believe.

Beautifylgirl
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Just so you all know. I talked to my vet I work with who routinely deals with reptiles and she had me do what you all suggested. I cleaned the tank out completely, vaccumed it clean then cleaned it with a bleach solution and am now using carefresh bedding for the time being. I was surprized when she told me to go buy a cat or dog flea collar and cut in into peices and place around the tank top ( but not too close) and in all my plants and that should take care of the problem. Hopefully now I will not have this issue any more. Now I know that I will have to be very careful of my new plant additions to my house.

Thanks all.
Brittany

Thamnophis
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
The flea collar will not help against fungus in my opinion, but maybe against mites or so.
Make sure the substrate is dry. That helps against fungus.

Cazador
02-11-2007, 12:05 AM
A "fungus gnat" is a tiny little fly. They're attracted to rotting vegetation/fruit.

Stefan-A
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
IIRC they are completely harmless to the snake, although it's understandable that they aren't exactly welcome.

Beautifylgirl
02-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Well now that I have completely cleaned the tank out & removed the problem plant from the house. I have not seen any in the tank, or in the whole house for that matter. I was using Coconut shavings (ecto-terra?) for the substrate and my snake loved it because she could burrow. Now that I've changed it to the Carefresh, she's not very thrilled because she's not able to keep any burrows in the substrait, but she'll have to live with it for now. It's entertaining to watch her try to burrow and then it all collapses when she leaves, I wonder how frusterating that it to a snake. Anyway thanks everyone for all the help. :)
Brittany

Thamnophis
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
A "fungus gnat" is a tiny little fly. They're attracted to rotting vegetation/fruit.

Ohhh, I thought the problem was mould (Fungus).

Those tiny flies can easily be driven away. Keep your terrarium clean.

Stefan-A
02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
And remember to keep the substrate dry. :)

GarterGuy
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Well now that I have completely cleaned the tank out & removed the problem plant from the house. I have not seen any in the tank, or in the whole house for that matter. I was using Coconut shavings (ecto-terra?) for the substrate and my snake loved it because she could burrow. Now that I've changed it to the Carefresh, she's not very thrilled because she's not able to keep any burrows in the substrait, but she'll have to live with it for now. It's entertaining to watch her try to burrow and then it all collapses when she leaves, I wonder how frusterating that it to a snake. Anyway thanks everyone for all the help. :)
Brittany

Actually I've found if you really "pack" the Carefresh into the tank that the burrow will actually stay. My one male T.s.concinnus has a network of burrows in his tank that connect all his hides and such. I'm never sure where he is 'til I see his head poke out one of his holes.
Roy

David
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Brittany, I was a pest control tech. for ten years with credits from Purdue. Take the snake out, clean the cage, and put her back, no problem I promise. I also practiced captive husbandry for 12 plus years, I actually held snakes in coitus, very carefully with no problem. The sloughing process is natural, your taking her out while sanitizing will not harm her. David

GarterGirl
07-18-2007, 05:13 AM
I've changed it to the Carefresh

That's good
I also use newspaper (overlapped)