PDA

View Full Version : Thamnophis.com Emergency Care Fund

mtolypetsupply
12-08-2008, 07:10 PM
After reading about Steve (guidofatherof5) and his bad fish incident, I made up the Thamnophis.com Emergency Care Fund on Fundable.com in case he'd need help with the testing fees. Steve graciously declined, but the website was still there. So, I posted it on the Rescue Makeover thread.

On Steve's recommendation, I'm posting it's own thread. I know that many of us can surely afford the day to day care of all of our pets. However, sometimes an emergency arises, and, as murphy's law would usually have it, coincides with the need to pay other large bills, and we wind up having to make some tough decisions. So I think the TECF is a good idea.

We'd have to make up the "rules" for who would be able to receive the funds, and under what circumstances, etc. Paypal is how things get paid, and I think they take a 3% commission. So they'll get $3 for every 100 donated. I am willing to administer the fund for no fee, but I think in the spirit of checks and balances, there should be at least one other co-administrator.

We already have $30 pledged, and just need $108 more to secure the fund, elsewise, those who pledge get their $$$ refunded. If you think this is a good idea, pledge $10, and start posting your ideas for the rules and regs of who will be able to receive money from the fund. And if you *really* support the cause, don't hesitate to pass along the link to friends and family, and ask for their pledges, maybe as part of your x-mas gift.:)

Here's the link:
Fundable Online Fundraising — Thamnophis.com Emergency Care Fund (http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2008-11-17.2093558819)

guidofatherof5
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Great post and a great idea. We are a small group of caring people. We should make an effort to help those who need it. Knowing that my minor donation can help another forum member does my heart good. I will probably never meet most of you but would like to help if I can. My donation may not be a big thing but with the help of other it can become a big help to someone who needs it. These are just my thoughts on the matter.

guidofatherof5
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
How about a 3 member group to oversee the fund distribution. Majority approval rules. A funds request form on the forum, directed to Stephi. A "guidelines" usage post for the members. This post would spell out the circumstanses under which the funds can be requested. A place on the forum to see what funds are available.
The more forum members who submit ideas allows for the best possible final product.
Accountability is paramount.
*I personnally don't care how my funds are used. If a member has a family emergency not related to the care of an animal, I think this fund is even more appropriate. This fund gives us a chance help when otherwise we would not be able to.*