PDA

View Full Version : Vet Bills

Cazador
02-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi all,

Drache's recent introduction made me wonder how much people around the world pay for an office visit to the vet for their snakes (don't include medication or laboratory fees).

In Alaska, I have to pay $45 USD for each snake.

Rick

Thamnophis
02-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Wow, that's a lot of money!
Most of the time I do not have to pay one cent. Only medication.
But that is because my vet is also the vet of the reptilezoo where I work.
I have no idea what the normal price would be.

Sid
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Have only one reptile vet around. His fee is $35.00 USD.

Sid

GarterGuy
02-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I actually paid $140 for my PI Kingsnake that had developed a tumor on her close to her vent. Ended up just being just a random growth and not detrimental to her, but after all the vet visits and lab tests done...it really added up.:( What's really ironic is the fact that I think I paid maybe $5 for her initially when I got her...LOL.

Beautifylgirl
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Well here at the clinic I work at our exams are $40. The lowest that I know of around. Most are around $45 ish.

Snaky
02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
We don't pay per animal, but for the examinations that had to be done. For a check-up it was 25€. Which where very well spent, because he had worms at that time...

mikm
02-17-2007, 08:03 AM
hey Rick ... good topic ... $49 per animal in NJ, however when I brought in 3, we technically got around her handling all of them, thereby negating a charge for each, but that was her call ;)

marian

abcat1993
02-17-2007, 08:52 AM
I've never took my snake, or any pet besides my dog to the vet (both dogs actually). My aunt and uncle, however, took their dog in who I think was 8 or 9 at the time and ended up paying thousands for nothing. Their dog was fine (german shephard).

Gyre
02-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Our normal vet (Cats, dogs, avian,) charges 15$ for an office visit. There's a herp vet who works closely with him who charges the same, if my memory serves me correctly.. We're really lucky to be working with these people, they don't hesitate to waive the office fee if the bill starts adding up.

He just took a tumor off of one of our show chicken for 60$ even.

Hannah

boeh
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
@Rick
That's a lot of money! Last time I paid less than 130 $ for a house visit that dured longer than one and a half hour. He even had to drive about 30 minutes one way. I have to say that this is a good price, I also paid much more to other vets, which weren't better at all. It probably wasn't that high because the medication was quite expensive.

If I have a look at the "Big Mac - Comparison" - you really have to pay a lot in Canada. This is the price for one Big Mac:

Switzerland 5,11 $ USD
Canada 2,34 $ USD

Please correct, if the canadian price isn't right. Sorry for the unusual comparision at this place, but I think, it's quite interesting to compare that realistic.

Best,
Cyrill

suzoo
02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
My Vet charges $17 USD for the office visit, no matter how many snakes I bring in. Then more for whatever I have done.

drache
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow!
I don't know about the Macs, but Vets charge way more in my neighborhood. Which is why I switched to one I can't get to fast enough in an emergency, sigh.
My neighborhood vet - the only herp vet in the neighborhood - was charging $80.- per visit, and would only see one herp per day (never found out why). She was always going gaga over how beautiful mine were, but then suddenly she stopped seeing herps completely.
My new vet Is about an hour away by car when the traffic's okay - and I don't have a car. BUT - he loves herps, he's into Garters particularly, he works with the rescue people, AND last time I brought him I brought seven of my critters, one of whom he did minor surgery on (stitch for prolapsed rectum), he charged me $75.- (just $15 buck more than the previous time, when I brought him seven critters he'd never seen before)
So I got a zip-car membership and make check-ups an outing.