PDA

View Full Version : Desperate measures........

anji1971
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm about to undertake my first ever snake rescue/ assist feed.
And I'm terrified.
One of Chili's babies, the one my son's friend adopted, is not eating, and has apparently gone without any food for many weeks. I've recently been made aware of just how serious the problem has become, and I've decided to take the snake back and attempt to save it's poor little life.
As far as I know, the snake is still drinking water, and active, but until I see her for myself, I have no idea if she's lost a lot of weight, or not. She is one of the babies with a birth defect (scoliosis, maybe?). I don't know if the food issue is a direct result of the condition, or just a phase, since my Sweetpea has the same spinal kinks, and eats fine.
I've read and reread all the posts and caresheets on force/assist feeding, but I'm still kind of freaked out, so if anyone has any other suggestions to make me relax (yeah, right:rolleyes:) I'd greatly appreciate it.
She'll be here in a couple of hours.............

adamanteus
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
If you've read through all the other force/assist feeding threads, I will only add this....
Be relaxed, work confidently and quickly, be firm but gentle. We're all with you on this, Anji. X

guidofatherof5
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Many weeks isn't a long time if they are trying to brumate. Patience may be in order if it's active and drinking water. If possible put it with others who are eating. I've found they all respond better if there's competion. Some of my non-eaters will follow the group and start eating out of a reflex responce(just my opinion)
Guppies in a clear glass bowl? be creative and don't rush it unless it's obvious to you the little one in starving to death. Then it's your call to intervene or let nature take its course. Good luck. You and your snake are in our prayers.

anji1971
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys.:)
I have considered the possibility that this little one may be trying to brumate, but none of my three have, and the sibling that was adopted out with her is still carrying on as usual. Apparently, (sorry, I'm gonna be using that word a lot, since I'm getting information second hand) she's been after the food, but not opening her mouth to get it in. She has been caught yawning though, so she is able to open her mouth. It's just weird. I'll be able to judge more accurately when I see her, and then I'll fill everyone in with a little more detail.

anji1971
02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Steve, are you sure many weeks is okay? It's got to be at least 10 weeks from what I'm gathering. Enough to make me worry.

Lori P
02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Don't panic yet Anji... my Reed hasn't eaten in, gosh, probably almost 3 months now. But in the last week he's come out more and more and is starting to cruise the tank, so he should be on his way soon.

But if you need to assist feed, you know we're all here to help you. You can do it!!!

guidofatherof5
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Anji,
Did you see my post on force feeding? I'll try to find it and PM you a link.

anji1971
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Don't panic yet Anji... my Reed hasn't eaten in, gosh, probably almost 3 months now. But in the last week he's come out more and more and is starting to cruise the tank, so he should be on his way soon.

But if you need to assist feed, you know we're all here to help you. You can do it!!!

Okay, but she is just a baby. Only born in June. I'll try not to panic.........yet.;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
like james said, be quick and confident. Luckily, if you have to, garters are really easy to force feed, because they are not contrictors and do not use their coils to fight you quite like most others would. You can get the job done in as little as 20 or 30 seconds. The times that I did it, I just pushed the food item to the throat right behind the head so that their mouth can close and wait to let go of them until they are not flailing wildly and then they will push it down themselves.... if you let go while they are still flailing they WILL puke it back up.

jitami
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm with the don't panic just yet group.... only you can decide when you see her... but Frick(08 baby) just did a two month fast and his brother still isn't eating. Body condition looked ok on both all along so I tried not to panic. Oh, and they will/would get excited, go to the food, flick at it, then cruise away.

drache
02-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm hoping the little one won't look so bad

anji1971
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
She was trying to brumate.:D
I checked her for weight loss, and she looks fine, so......
I put her in a small enclosure with moisture and heat, and waited half an hour or so. Then I dangled a piece of fish jello at her, and she sucked it back immediately! Then ate 4 more pieces. Little bugger. Her owner is overjoyed, although still in disbelief! I'm keeping little Jane for a few weeks to fatten her up, then I see no reason why she can't go back to live with her sibling.
What a relief. What a waste of panicking!!:eek:

guidofatherof5
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Best to let the little one alone. You don't want the food coming back out.
I'm giving my new eater a couple of days before I even attempt to hold him.

Great news! You'll probably sleep better tonight.

jitami
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Awww, so glad all is well Anji! Congrats on getting her to eat so quickly :)

Sid
02-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Glad to hear the good news, Anji.

drache
02-06-2009, 04:51 AM
great news

What a waste of panicking!!:eek:
I do that too often

infernalis
02-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the good news.