PDA

View Full Version : Help Please?

Snakers
08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey i know like any new garter snake about be worried about your new companion but today i was watching my garter and she is really scared of humans and always shoots around her cage like a bullet when ever I look at her but i've seen her drink this afternoon(which was really cool)so i decided to try to feed her, she noticed the worm and shot over to them and they were wiggling like crazy so nudged them with the tip of her mouth and then left to shoot around her cage again is this usual in a wild caught been in a cage for 4 days?

ssssnakeluvr
08-21-2009, 06:59 PM
not unusual....wild caught aren't use to humans..... can take several weeks before they get accustomed to captivity. make sure she has a hide box

Snakers
08-21-2009, 07:01 PM
il take a picture of her enclosure and show you guys

Mommy2many
08-22-2009, 05:10 AM
We have had ours for a few months now and they are pretty much used to us around the enclosure but if the kids suddenly point their fingers at the glass, it'll spook them. I'm always yelling at the kids not to scare my snakes:rolleyes:

drache
08-22-2009, 06:00 AM
yeah - lots of space and good hiding spots help them settle down
4 days is not a long time to get used to living in a glass box surrounded by giants with opposable thumbs

Snakers
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
lol ok thanks
guys

mustang
08-22-2009, 08:51 AM
itll take a few months of constant handaling before she stops trying to bolt

Snakers
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
i thought handling put stress on a new snake?

mustang
08-22-2009, 10:17 AM
i thought handling put stress on a new snake?
but itll get them used to u handaling them ....but id wait about 3-4 days after capture before u start handaling

Snakers
08-22-2009, 10:18 AM
should i wait till she eats b4 i handle her she hasn't eaten for the five days i've had her

mustang
08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
should i wait till she eats b4 i handle her she hasn't eaten for the five days i've had her
no but i ill type out how to feed a wild caught snake hold on takes a while to type it all

Snakers
08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
kk thanks!

Snakers
08-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'll w8 for anything to save my snake

mustang
08-22-2009, 10:31 AM
steps *PUT IN SEPERATE CONTAINER FOR FEEDING ALWAYS*
1. find out what ur snake eats in wild
2.buy that food that it eats
3. get a white sock or somthn tlike tongs so it can hold food for snaake
4. hold up wave it in fron of its face till it strikes it in air (jump for food so to speak)
5. after a few weeks put a pinky (cut up if too big for snake) and it shoud strike ...if it dosnt go to step "#*"
6. yay ur snake ate a piny congrats the trick is to make it associate somthn else with food
#*. we know your snake is pick so lets say ur snake eats worms and wont strike pinky ...then wrap a worm around a pinky and it should down it inone gulp....if it eats frogs use some sort of non-toxic coloring device and make the pinky the color of the native frogs also bounce it on ground in cage(still use them tweezers or sock! eventually it should eat a pinky with out hesitation

doint be shyabout pm ing me if u need help...tell me what it eats in wild also so i can help more!!

mustang
08-22-2009, 10:35 AM
when your done (dont handle snake for 2 hours after feeding except to put in cage) grab ur snake and let it crawl through hands as u watch tv...sit on floor new snakes love to crap on couches, beds, and anything except enclosure...ittl stop doin that eventually!

GarterGeek
08-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I've found that for first-time feedings, it is often necessary to feed in the enclosure. For some snakes handling helps, but in my experience I'd hold back on the handling until you get the snake to eat. That's just my personal experience though...Individual snakes vary and often require different methods. Good luck! :)

jitami
08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I've found that for first-time feedings, it is often necessary to feed in the enclosure. For some snakes handling helps, but in my experience I'd hold back on the handling until you get the snake to eat. That's just my personal experience though...Individual snakes vary and often require different methods. Good luck! :)

Same here. And even my cbb and long term wc will sometimes freak out and run from something if I stick it in their face. I have much better luck putting food on a dish and either walking away or sitting very still a short distance away to observe.