PDA

View Full Version : hernia?

drache
11-23-2009, 02:12 PM
this morning I picked up Mikhaila's 2 year old marcianus male from her old science teacher
it wasn't until I took the snake out of the bag to put him in the tank that I noticed the lump, and although I wish I did have a camera, I'm not sure that the description won't be better than a photo in this case
the lump is at about the middle of the body near the bottom of the lung, and hardly visible at all unless the snake is picked up - then the ventral area sort of pooches out, and considerably. there is no redness, no external anything, and the area does not feel even remotely firm; in fact it feels almost vacuous. the snake is moving and acting completely normal, and there is no apparent sensitivity or inhibited movement, or any such thing.
my guess is some kind of prolapse. I took the snake to Sean, who guesses hernia (same thing) and agreed that taking him to the local vet would be a waste of time. I'm hoping that someone from my other vet's office will come to White Plains on Sunday (Expo) and whisk the little guy away to Pennsylvania to the Doc.
Anybody here ever encounter anything like this?

guidofatherof5
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Any chance it's an injury? Considering it was coming from another location other than your home. Just a thought.
I've had a few radixes develope fluid filled lumps that were drained and never returned. Others had them come back within a few months and have been living with them for years. They were filled with a watery fluid.
Best of luck, keep us informed. If possible I'd like to see a photo. Thanks.

drache
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
it doesn't seem likely, as the snake wasn't being handled and due to a previous accident, the teacher is being extra careful when changing the water bowl
the thing is - there's nothing "in there". if there were fluid, one would be able to feel it. it doesn't feel distended in any way. it doesn't feel like a lump. it just kind of sags when the snake is picked up

drache
12-04-2009, 05:36 PM
vet's best guess is enlarged liver, and since he is otherwise fine, we are sticking to observation for now, and he's back home

gregmonsta
12-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Fingers crossed for him :)

ConcinusMan
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Alright. No more booze for that guy. Make sure he doesn't sneak any!