PDA

View Full Version : Sick radix

guidofatherof5
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
This morning I checked on one of my T.s.p. that has been losing weight. Thank goodness she ate 1 pinky. That left one pinky that needed to be fed off. I went to one of my female enclosures and opened it up. As I opened the door I noticed one of my girls sitting out in the open. She is always an aggressive eater and I knew she would be first to take a shot at this pinky. She is always alert and when foods involved she has a striking feeding response and I do mean striking.
The first thing that caught my attention was the fact she didn't move when I opened up. I bumped her, thinking she was sleeping. It was then I realized she was sick. Very little movement and not much tongue flicking. I moved her to a different container, hoping some time alone might help. When I returned from work I found she was no better.
I picked her up and check for anything visual and ran her through my fingers feeling for lumps or anything hard. I found none of that but did notice she felt bloated. As if she were retaining a lot of air. I applied slight pressure to her belly and back and ran my had down her length.
I did see a Small amount of liquid come out of her cloaca. It smelled like musk but only 10 times as strong as regular musk.
I tried soaking her in a warm bath, hoping the warmth might help relieve some of the pressure. It didn't help and I think I'm going to euthanize her.
She is a beautiful girl and 2 days ago was behaving like her old self. I hate these unexplained illnesses/deaths.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/sick_radix.jpg

Mommy2many
11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear/see you have another sick radix. Can you give her a little more time or do you think she is in pain?

guidofatherof5
11-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I've seen this before and think she has passed the point of no return. I don't think she's suffering but I am. She's in the fridge and after an hour or so I'll mover her to the freezer.
She's a beautiful green head lite phase and I hate to lose her. She was at breeding size and age. I love her aggressive attitude when eating.

CRIKEY!
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry Steve. That's devastating. I wish you the best man. :(

GarterGeek
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry for your loss. :(

count dewclaw
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
So sorry, Steve.

guidofatherof5
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I just checked on her and she has passed. I'm going to keep her and do an autopsy at a later date. As much as I hate to do it I also have a great need to know what could have happened to her. The only way I get closer to an answer is to take a look inside.

drache
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
sorry to hear of this loss, Steve

ssssnakeluvr
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
sorry for your loss! :(

snakeman
12-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Don't take this illness too lightly.This sounds like one of those illnesses that could creep through your whole collection.

guidofatherof5
12-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Don't take this illness too lightly.This sounds like one of those illnesses that could creep through your whole collection.

I know what you're saying. Thanks for the heads-ups.
I'm hoping it was just a genetic/developmental issue and not a spreadable illness. Everyone in that enclosure got a bath and the enclosure got scrubbed down.

gregmonsta
12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry for your loss mate.

Mommy2many
12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost her.

gregmonsta
12-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Thinking back it could have been an internal blockage. Sounds similar to when Xena went.

jitami
12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
So sorry, Steve :(