PDA

View Full Version : Hasn't shed right eyecap

brubru2
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Hello, I am new here, and I have run into a problem. Could you help me out?:confused:
Here's the situation-one of my 3 baby garters is already done shedding, but he hasn't shed his right eyecap yet. If anyone here knows an answer, please respond, I'm getting a little scared.:(

drache
12-04-2009, 05:34 AM
don' panic!
and do not try to use force
even if the eye-cap doesn't come off once, it will not be a big problem if it comes off in the next shed, but here's what you can do: tie the baby into a warm wet cloth bag - a cotton sock might work for a baby - a keep it in a warm place, making sure the bag doesn't dry out
I often put something rough, like a small rock or a scrubby pad into the bag, so the snake can rub against it, and I also put the bag into a bowl with a quarter inch of warm water at the bottom for extra moisture
good luck with that, and do keep us posted
oh - and welcome to the forum

guidofatherof5
12-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I second Rhea's advice. Don't panic.
Here's another idea to assist in getting that eye cap off. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/5014-cheap-shed-box.html Both ideas should work fine.
Is it just the eye cap or did you jet lucky and have a few old facial scales left also?
I'll wait for your answer for further info.

brubru2
12-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I have another question: if my garter: is an agressive eater, is a bit hyper, but is also pretty docile, than what gender would you say it is?:confused:

guidofatherof5
12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I have another question: if my garter: is an agressive eater, is a bit hyper, but is also pretty docile, than what gender would you say it is?:confused:

What you described isn't information normally used to sex a snake. Here's a link to give you a clear idea of what to look for. If you can get and post a tail photo like what you see in the link thread we'll try to help you sex your snake.

I've found females to be more docile than males and males to be jumpier than females. With that said I've also seen the opposite happen.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/breeding/5069-sexing-pics.html

brubru2
12-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Based on the info you provided me with, I will now have to rename two of my three snakes (which would make them all females). Yet, one problem remains: one is quite smaller than all the others, and aren't male garters somewhat smaller than females?

guidofatherof5
12-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Based on the info you provided me with, I will now have to rename two of my three snakes (which would make them all females). Yet, one problem remains: one is quite smaller than all the others, and aren't male garters somewhat smaller than females?

This is true, unless it's possibly a runt or just a slow grower. If they are babies it really doesn't matter since breeding will be at least a year to a year and a half away. Posting some photos would be great, we love seeing other people's little scrubs.

brubru2
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Sure, as sooon as I can.:D

brubru2
12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Here they are!!!:D
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/cid:{38ACDF2F-7B78-4AC1-96F7-987BB340C641}/John's pictures 084.jpg

guidofatherof5
12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Here they are!!!:D
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/cid:{38ACDF2F-7B78-4AC1-96F7-987BB340C641}/John's pictures 084.jpg

Can't see the photo.

ConcinusMan
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Can't see the photo.

pssssst!. nor do I!

brubru2
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/JPEG (lizardman@new.rr.com) Here they are!!! Sorry for the wait.http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=817&stc=1&d=1260228686

guidofatherof5
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Great looking trio.

brubru2
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks.:)
One of them just finished shedding.

brubru2
12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but from this, can anyone determine what sex they are?:confused:
I'm not quite 100% sure yet.

guidofatherof5
12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
From that photo I can tell you have either males and/or females:D
We need to get a look at the underside of the tail. Here's a link to what is needed in the photo.

brubru2
12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Can anyone tell what specific breed(s) my garters are determined by the photo?:confused:

ssssnakeluvr
12-10-2009, 04:44 PM
looks like chicago garters to me....

brubru2
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry to ask so many questions but, when would it be safe to start feeding my garters pinkies?

guidofatherof5
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry to ask so many questions but, when would it be safe to start feeding my garters pinkies?

As long as the pinkies aren't too large you could start anytime. I would suggest you give a varied diet.
I rotate worms, pinkies and safe fish. A few times a month I add a good calcium supplement. Amazon.com: Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 (4.1 oz) PINK BOTTLE: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-Calcium-Vitamin-PINK-BOTTLE/dp/B00076HTQA)

brubru2
12-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Okay, I just lost two of my garters in my cold basement, how could I find, or lure them out of whatever they are hiding under?
I'm panicking, A LOT!!!

guidofatherof5
12-14-2009, 08:37 AM
What heat sources are in the basement? My lost snakes head for the refrigerator compressor. Can you set a box with hole in it on a heating pad? They like to hug the walls as they move. Sit and listen for them. Many times you can hear them moving around. You can put flour on the floor to see if they leave any tracks.
Don't panic. Get a flashlight and keep looking.

brubru2
12-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I have a refrigerator,m and a chest freezer.

guidofatherof5
12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Those compressors are nice and warm. Garter snakes love'em.
How long have they been gone?

brubru2
12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Two days, but thankfully I found one in the downstairs living room. I was watching TV, when I noticed something nuzzled-up by the pellet stove.:D
All I have to find now is Janis.:(

guidofatherof5
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Great news. One down and one to go.

brubru2
12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Indeed.:D
(I tend to say that a lot.)

brubru2
12-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I am going to ask my cousin to come over, and bring his black lad to try to sniff-out Janis. Would this be a good method?

guidofatherof5
12-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Can't hurt. Just make sure if the dog finds it, it doesn't grab the snake.

ConcinusMan
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a feeling the garter is "smart" enough to hide where the dog and you cannot get to him. Also, since garters are obviously not mammals, unless they are covered in fresh musk, there will be no smell. Are there any sources of heat down there that the snake can get to? I'd be looking there. If not, placing one of those "radiator" type space heaters on low, out in the open, and maybe some pieces of fish, might get him to come out. If it's cold down there, I've had some success with placing a heat pad on low, covered with a box upside down with a hole cut in it. Check it in a few days, and you just might find him in there.

guidofatherof5
12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I have a feeling the garter is "smart" enough to hide where the dog and you cannot get to him. Also, since garters are obviously not mammals, unless they are covered in fresh musk, there will be no smell. Are there any sources of heat down there that the snake can get to? I'd be looking there. If not, placing one of those "radiator" type space heaters on low, out in the open, and maybe some pieces of fish, might get him to come out. If it's cold down there, I've had some success with placing a heat pad on low, covered with a box upside down with a hole cut in it. Check it in a few days, and you just might find him in there.

I beg to differ with you on the no smell statement. I agree with the fact we don't smell anything. But to a K-9 I'm sure there is plenty to smell.
I think the dog thing is worth a try. With their eye sight and hearing it may not be their nose that helps you locate the snake.

drache
12-18-2009, 02:33 PM
the average dog has a sense of smell that turns a pair of shoes returning from a walk into the dog version of the NY Times weekend edition - you bet they can smell a snake
ours isn't anywhere near as interested in them as the cats are, but that may be because he has a clearer understanding of "off limits"

good luck finding the escapee

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
some of my snakes smell like sweet cucumbers. not the musk, just the snake themselves. no joke! Not my garters though. I am SURE snakes have a scent of some sort, undetectable to us for the most part, but did you ever notice how other snakes react to ones that are unfamiliar?! They stop once they pick up a scent and start twitching and wild tongue flicking immediately!

brubru2
12-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I tried the dog, but nothing.:(
A few times she focused on a certain spot by the fridge and freezer.
After that, I turned my basement upside down looking for her, and there is only one place that she could be hiding now. (that I could actually get her.)
So, here goes, the last place better be a winner.
Thanks for the support everybody.:)

brubru2
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
This is Re, I caught him/her up at my cottage. He/she acts very tame for a wild caught Banded water snake.:D

These snakes are supposed to be quite aggressive. According to Re, this is false.

brubru2
01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, and if anybody hasn't heard, I found Janis on Christmas Eve.:D
(A true Christmas miracle.:rolleyes:)

I was downstairs late at night, (about 11:00 PM) I hadn't bothered to look for her again thinking that there was no way she could still be alive after such a long period of time.
I had gotten up to get a drink, and on the way I noticed something lying on the carpet. At first I thought it was just some string or something, but as I walked closer the "thing" began to move and I realized it was my girl, Janis. A miracle, that is the best way of describing it.

guidofatherof5
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh, and if anybody hasn't heard, I found Janis on Christmas Eve.:D
(A true Christmas miracle.:rolleyes:)

I was downstairs late at night, (about 11:00 PM) I hadn't bothered to look for her again thinking that there was no way she could still be alive after such a long period of time.
I had gotten up to get a drink, and on the way I noticed something lying on the carpet. At first I thought it was just some string or something, but as I walked closer the "thing" began to move and I realized it was my girl, Janis. A miracle, that is the best way of describing it.

That is great news.

brubru2
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Would you be able to tell what gender Re is?

guidofatherof5
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Would you be able to tell what gender Re is?

Post a under tail, focused photo and we'll give you our ideas. Here's a link to help you figure it out also.

drache
01-08-2010, 05:34 AM
congrats finding Re

brubru2
01-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Re isn't the snake I lost, but thanks anyway:D
I lost Janis, one of my baby garters.

By the sexing pics, I think Re is a female.
However, I wouldn't be able to get an under-tail pic until the Summer because I've caught Re several times, but I always let her go shortly afterward.
I get to see her yearly, but ever sense I caught her the first time, every time I have caught her after that she doesn't bite when I grab her.:)