PDA

View Full Version : Albino checkered garter not eating

brats4us
12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
My son's snake is just over a year old and has always been a good eater but for 3 months now it has no interest in food. Was on hoppers. Have tried pinks and fuzzy's to tempt but no interest at all. Snake is busy and active loves to be handled and does not appear to be ill or hybernating. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stefan-A
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
How long has it been refusing food? I assume it's not preparing to shed?

It could be preparing for brumation (hibernation for reptiles).

guidofatherof5
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
What part of the country are you in? Other than not eating, do I understand the snake is acting normal?

I almost forgot. Welcome to the forum.

brats4us
12-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks. Glad to connect with fellow snake lovers. I live in Norfolk Virginia. Other than not eating the snake seems fine. Active, sweet, etc. I started breeding and freezing mice myself but at least one of those was eaten by the snake since we started the cryogenics lab in the garage. :) I don't remember the snake doing this last year at this time but it was just a baby then. Probably worried about nothing but just want to be sure.

GarterGeek
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome! :D

Does the snake have a heat lamp? Maybe the temperature is too low.

Have you noticed any changes in weight? I would start keeping a record of the snake's weight. I wouldn't worry unless I saw some considerable changes.

brats4us
12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
He has a heat lamp and ranges around the tank from the warm side to the cold side and in and out of hiding places. Temp is 85 on the warm side and 70 on the cold. In a 20 gallon tank. Tried changing bulb wattage from 50 to 75 then tried 100. Went back to 75. Not to seem stupid but how would one go about weighing a snake? I have an electronic food scale but don't think he will stand on it :) The snake has not shed in the three months it has not eaten. Should I get some fish? Maybe the mousesicles have lost their appeal.

ConcinusMan
12-25-2009, 07:54 AM
You could try new foods. I certainly doesn't hurt to get some variety. 3 months is quite some time at those temps though. Some snakes are more light-sensitive than others'. I know that even if I gave warm temps, if they didn't get full spectrum, or if they got short days, it made a difference in their feeding habits. If they are healthy weight, getting full spectrum lighting, at least 12 hours (depends on ssp.) warm temps, etc. It could be that sometimes the hard parts of the food (bones, hair) build up in the stomach since they digest slower, and the snake could just need some time to digest that stuff. It also seems to help if you just give up and don't offer anything for several weeks. If you offer the same food too often, they smell it, and they're like "this again?". Let them NOT smell food items for 2-3 weeks and they're like "oh WOW, FOOD!"

but 3 months seems a little too long for comfort for a yearling unless brumating. Again, having weight records would help. I did things the old fashioned way - observation using my senses. I could tell if my snakes were losing weight or otherwise declining in any way. Still, if it's been that long and feces are all evacuated, it might be a good time for little rest. Unless your snake has lost significant weight that's what I would do. I never give them year 'round summer. I believe that for long term health, the seasonal fluctuations are just as important as day/night fluctuations, even if you don't full-out brumate, it's good for them to slow down for a few months each year. Opinions vary though, and different species/ssp would have different responses to seasonal stimuli. A full spectrum bulb, bright enough, for long enough has worked wonders and can be as important to appetite as temperature is.

Odie
12-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi, from Oregon, brats4us :)

ConcinusMan
12-25-2009, 05:07 PM
For weighing small snakes I use a $30 digital gem scale with a large tray that is very accurate down to 1/10 of a gram. I tested it against the USDA certified (calibrated daily by the USDA) scales at work that can measure micrograms. My scale it dead on. Not bad for $30.

drache
01-03-2010, 07:03 AM
it seems a bit young for a snake to be doing that, but I do have snakes that will quit eating in winter, no matter what kind of heat or light I give them
if the snake is still of a healthy weight I would cool it for a few of weeks and see what happens after that
welcome to the forum

ConcinusMan
01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Cooling will slow the metabolism and reduce the need for energy (food) but you want to make sure you don't do that with a sick or weak snake.

brats4us
01-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all your encouragement and advice. I will offer some fish and not stress. It has gotten very cold here recently.

mustang
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
how long is ur checker?....mines been being wierd to latly! hes been staying in one spot ....but hes about to shed now... i had to start the whole process on working mine up to pinkys again...hes 11in.....20gal....id say prepare if not allready invest in a bigger tank!....oh welcome! im Robert