PDA

View Full Version : Cloaca Impaction

ConcinusMan
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
The one and only female concinnus I managed to acquire is fresh out of brumation, quite thin and very light. (all of them are) She has a noticible lump just prior to her cloaca and it's slightly open with some dried material. I think this may be treatable before it becomes life threatening. She appears to be fine otherwise.

I managed to get some of that material off with soaking but the lump is still there. Any other ideas as to what I should do to get her uncorked?

guidofatherof5
03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
A good long soak in warm water.
Warm water seems to stimulate the bowels.

ConcinusMan
03-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I think this goes a bit beyond needing stimulation. It's a hard dry plug that goes a bit up inside. Enough to form a very firm (rock hard actually) lump about 5/8 inch long. I will continue soaking but it seems like all that accomplished was to remove enough for the cloaca to close. Lump is still there.

MasSalvaje
03-20-2010, 11:40 PM
I had a snake that had the same thing coming out of brumation. I had to take him to the vet to see what was up. The vet said it could be one of many things but he gave him an enima type injection in the cloaca, a very hard piece of urate came out, and he was put on antibiotics in case it was an infection that caused it.

-Thomas

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I have something that might work for injecting some fluid in there. I wonder if I should use mineral oil or plain water. I do believe it's mostly urate. The plug holding her cloaca open was urate (chalky white) so maybe water. No redness in her cloaca region and she seems to be feeling fine so let's hope it's not an infection. My main concern now is getting it cleared asap.

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
So far today it's going well. The material is softening and with gentle pushing I can get the plug to protrude outside a little, then gently remove some of it with the round ball end of a hair pin. Slowly but surely, it's coming along.

There is an object in there. I think the urate just managed to seep past it. Got the urate out but there's something that looks like a piece of cartilage. It will come out a little. Perhaps at this point, mineral oil might help.

gregmonsta
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Good work :) hope it works out well ;)

Stefan-A
03-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Good news. :)

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Sorry guys, I edited after you replied. I'm terrible about that.

infernalis
03-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Congrats... Hope it all works out.

Stefan-A
03-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Sorry guys, I edited after you replied. I'm terrible about that.
Well, you know what we replied to. :)

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I tried getting ahold of the cartilage-like material and pulling on it but it just breaks. I still think she's going to be OK. No signs of inflammation, pus or blood. I'll keep working on it. Hopefully this is just something left from her last meal before brumating and perhaps when she starts feeding again, it will pass with a bowel movement. Fingers crossed.

Stefan-A
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I guess the same old advice applies here: Keep her hydrated. And good luck.

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
What was that stuff called that is given to reptiles to help them recover? you put a couple of drops on their food. I can't remember what it was called. Can't hurt to give it to all of them. If I can get them to eat. They are all thin, they feel very light. But like I said, they just came out of brumation. My concinnus always came out of brumation and ate after a couple of days, then shed, then bred.

gregmonsta
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Is it 'Critical care formula'? .. I think you add it to the water.

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Can't remember. I'll find out again. The local reptile rescue centers use it and swear by it. I'll ask them.

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
It does look like she's in the clear now. The lump is gone and her cloaca looks normal. She's a beautiful adult anery concinnus promised to Don. She's very sweet. She's about 28 inches long. I almost don't want to part with her. I haven't forgotten about you Steve. I'll get in touch.

Here she is:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9349/gedc0937.jpg