PDA

View Full Version : Eastern (I believe) won't eat

NovaPrime9
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Hello, all.

I live in NJ and this past Sunday our cats presented us with the gift of a live and very perturbed garter snake. I inspected him for damage and was surprised to see nothing obvious- no punctures, no blood, and no obvious broken ribs. So my son ran to get his critter cage and we've had him in there since.

I've observed him drinking, and he's fairly active. However, he hasn't eaten since we got him. We've offered fish (both live and dead- in the water and in a small dish respectively), and worms. Is there something else I should try? This is what I've always fed them when I was young, and they always ate these things enthusiastically.

Please let me know what you think. I guess a few other pertinent details are:
the snake is about 10"
the outside temperature is 40 degrees or so, which leads me to think that perhaps it isn't fully out of brumation...?
indoor temp is 70 degrees, and there's no warming stone or pad in or on the tank.

Any advice is appreciated. I figure if I can't get him eating by Monday, I will probably let it go.

~Nova

Stefan-A
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
It sounds like you're doing okay so far. It might well be that it's not out of brumation completely and mating season is coming up, too (although it sounds a bit on the small side for that). If you could get your hands on earthworms, that would be worth a try.

guidofatherof5
03-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for being concerned for the snakes welfare.

I second the earthworm idea. Small night crawlers, maybe.
We would love to see a photo when you have a chance. It may also nail down the ID of the snake. Here's a link to the care sheet that might help.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Eastern_Garter_Snake

I think Stefan has the right idea. The snake is probably just coming out of brumation and needs sometime to adjust.
Keep us posted on your new friend.

Stefan-A
03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I think Stefan has the right idea. The snake is probably just coming out of brumation and needs sometime to adjust.
I want to point out that it was not my idea, but his own. :)

guidofatherof5
03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry, my mistake.

NovaPrime9
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the input :)

I put two pictures online. I didn't downsize them; I figured the more detail the better.

here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86884/IMG_6231.JPG)
and
here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86884/IMG_6237.JPG)

I've tried worms... my son goes out into the yard and digs for them every day. But I end up pulling dried up husks out of the tank 24 hours later. Do you think nightcrawlers would give better results? Maybe I just need to give him more time to 'wake up', as it were?

Anyway, I do hope the pictures give enough info for you to place what he actually is. Maybe that'll help us get to the bottom of what he actually wants to eat! :)

~Nova

prattypus
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
That's it Steve, you're fired.

ssssnakeluvr
03-27-2010, 10:21 PM
can take them a couple weeks to adjust to the new home also.

Stefan-A
03-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Do you think nightcrawlers would give better results? Maybe I just need to give him more time to 'wake up', as it were?
It's worth a try, in both cases.

Odie
03-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi, from Oregon, NovaPrime9 :)

NovaPrime9
03-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi, Odie! :)

And thank you all for your input and caring. I'll let you know how it goes! If anyone can ID my garter please let me know what he is.

~Nova

Snakers
03-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Your right hes a beautiful eastern, and also Hi from New York

Snakers
03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
also if you want to go up to a walmart near you they sell 10gallon fish tanks for 10-12 dollars which is the best prices ive ever seen

NovaPrime9
03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
That's absolutely on the agenda, as long as this guy actually starts eating. Once I know he intends to stick around, I'll get him a 10gal tank and of course a mesh top. What else- last snake I had was probably about 30 years ago. What's good for the substrate? I used to just use cedar. Is that still ok? Is a light or heating pad/stone necessary? We do use the a/c during the summer, so it's definitely cooler in here than he'd be outside.

Snakers
03-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Please don't use cedar shavings they are very bad if ingested and overtime can kill the snake so pine and cedar are a no-no if aspen is available use that but for now newspaper and paper towls a great,cheap, and easy to clean!
And also try to buy guppies for feeding if your with fish, because goldfish are highly dangerous so look out for them so gl and keep us posted on him/her:D

Edit: oh man i forgot if your going to use heat a heat lamp would be great dont use a heat stone your snake will be burnt! And if your snake is burnt its means more money at the vet:eek:And hopefully you snake will live a nice happy life with you, snakes are very educational and me as young as I am know quite a bit about them but they teach me new stuff every day!:D

NovaPrime9
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow, great info on the wood and the heating stones. Thank you. Does the same apply for those heating pads as well?

No change in the snake today, though I'm not surprised. It's freaking COLD here today! :(

Mommy2many
03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Welcome from CT! Could take your snake a couple weeks to adjust to the new environment and come out of brumation. Keep trying worms and maybe salmon from fish dept. at local supermarket. Nice save!:D

NovaPrime9
04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sorry I was gone for so long. But I wanted to report in with you to let you all know that the brumation thought seemed to be correct. It's warmed up a little here in NJ, and he started eating worms right away!

I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, but between being a cubmaster and a baseball coach (and father of three), time is just no friend of mine! But I know how worried I would be if I didn't hear back on a board like this, and would probably assume the worst. So I wanted to poke back in and let you know that he's doing great!

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas. My son is so thrilled that we can keep him!

ConcinusMan
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
That's great news! you should really try to get him to eat pinky mice. you might have to smear them with worms for the smell, but pinkies are very good complete nutrition. Worms are not, and need to be fed to him very often.

Full spectrum, low intensity florescent lighting does wonders for garters and I would highly recommend a 40 or 60 watt ceramic heat emitter (placed outside a metal screen top so he cant get burned) about 12 inches above his tank on one end. Keep it on during the day only. This should result in the cool end being about 70 degrees and about 85 under the heat emitter. Sounds like your garter will do well.

Snakers
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Great update!:D

De Foezel
04-29-2010, 02:16 AM
might be a Thamnophis radix???
cant find anything that looks like it more

gregmonsta
04-29-2010, 05:07 AM

:rolleyes: doesn't look anything like a radix to me. I'd say the original idea of an Eastern looks the most likely.

Quibble
04-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I would say Eastern too.
Welcome from Michigan!

ConcinusMan
05-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Couldn't be. Not in New Jersey:cool: