PDA

View Full Version : Garter popping/clicking update

RedSided
04-06-2007, 07:25 AM
The clicking/popping sound becomes continuous if I compress thumb and fore finger by about 3mm , 3cm behind her head. I also noticed a droplet of what seemed to be water at first, when I touched it however it was sticky :confused: .

Call me a hypochondriac but I think I'm going to take her to a vet and get her checked out, Especially since I may have a new garter snake on my hands very soon, I don't want to put them both at risk.
I may just be over reacting but I always think its better to be safe than sorry.

Any thoughts?

Cazador
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
When you start to notice a sticky goo coming out of the mouth in addition to clicking, it's time for a bacterial culture. Good call :). Let us know how it turns out, okay?

Rick

GarterGuy
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree with Rick, very good call. It's sounding like it might be some sort of respitory infection or something. Best of luck with her.
Roy

RedSided
04-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Cheers Im getting the number of a vet and for now raising temps in tank.
My brother is getting the number of a vet from a friend at work who has an Iguana.

Anything else I can do until Tuesday? Im itching to do something for her.
Bank holiday on monday so I doubt vet will be open. :(

Cazador
04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I'd just leave the temps elevated (~ 90F or 32C) day and night until then, and make sure there is plenty of fresh water. Keep an eye to make sure it can open its mouth. Sometimes the exudate can "gum" their mouth shut if it becomes too plentiful. It's just a precaution.

adamanteus
04-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi Redsided, Did you get your snake to the vet today? Hope it all went well for you. Keep us posted, okay?

RedSided
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
No no joy, My brothers boss want in so I dont have the vets number:confused:, Its not going at all as planned, She seems to be in good health appart from the huffing thing, I have found no more mucus but I realy want to get her to a vet incase it develops further and gets nasty.:(

Don't want this to be another horror story to add to the forum.

adamanteus
04-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I think you're wise to see a vet. It may be just a slight chill that will clear by itself with raised viv temperatues, but better safe than sorry. I always used to find good reptile vets hard to find, but I don't think they are such a rarity these days.

RedSided
04-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok I googled for a Reptile vet in my area and found the same guy that I was supposed to be getting the number for yesterday. Hes only at the vets on fridays so I will arrange tansport there and phone for an appointment as soon as I know I can get there. Will keep you posted.

He sounds very knowlagable and he also treats fish.
Check it out

vet4dragons (http://www.vet4dragons.co.uk/)

adamanteus
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
His credentials are certainly impressive! Good luck with that.

drache
04-10-2007, 10:23 AM
any herp vets are still hard to find
this one looks promising
good luck and speedy recovery

RedSided
04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
It just gets worse , I phoned today and they guy is on holiday for two weeks :mad: :( .

adamanteus
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
And how's the snake doing? Has the raised temperature made any difference?

RedSided
04-12-2007, 03:31 AM
I havn't noticed any worsening conditions and she still seems lively as ever, no more sticky stuff.

Cazador
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Tim,

It's not generally recommended to leave the temp up around 90F day and night for over a week to 10 days, so you should start thinking about dropping the temp at night and/or recreating a thermal gradient. One end can remain up near 90F until you see a vet, though.

Rick

P.S. Glad to hear it's looking a bit better.

Josh
04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
hope he gets back to normal

RedSided
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Got the gradient back now, basking spot is about 85+ it varys and I try not to let it go over 90.Cool end is about 67-72 it fluctuates mainly due to weather.

Will just be monitoring her until I can get her seen. The next closest vet is 3hr+ drive and I realy don't want to stress her out that much, shes a nervous snake as it is.

As it has been said before and is what im hoping is that huffing is just a habit of hers .The mucus or what seemed to be, seems to suggest otherwise.

She can still open her mouth, she just gave me a little yawn for some reason, that mean anything?

GarterGuy
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Sometimes snakes will just do that....not sure of any real reason for it. It could be though because she's having some difficulties with what the respitory condition she's got. I've seen snakes before that would "gape", because they were having respitory problems. I know I'm not a vet, but I have treated snakes that had respirtory problems with Baytril (it's a common antibiotic use by vets)...I'm not sure of the dosages right now(it's been over 10yrs. since I've had to treat anything for it, so just don't have it laying around, readily available right now), but this might be something that you could do through a vet that doesn't specifically work with reptiles. It would just be matter of getting them to prescribe you some of it to use, until your herp vet gets back from vacation. If I can find the dosage rates or if someone else knows them, I think this might be something to take a look at. Respitory infections can usually be treated fairly successfully, but at the same time you can loose a snake to them if it ends up turning into something like severe pneumonia.
Roy

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Just a quick thought on respiratory infections.... These can frequently be caused (in captive reptiles) by foul or damp air, through having inadequate ventilation in the vivarium. I think that quite often ventilation is overlooked, or is at least low down on the priority list when people are building or buying vivs. I know that many of the store-bought vivs I've looked at are not properly ventilated. (In my view).

I'm not saying this is the cause of the problem with RedSided's snake. It's just an observation, and maybe something to consider next time we're building or buying snake accommodation.

RedSided
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM
The Viv is perfectly ventilated, its got 4 vents in the back spaced evenly about the size of the bottom of a mug.The viv is not jammed up against the wall, so the air can circulate. If anything caused the suspected RI it was probably the cold winter.

But rather than speculate I just want to get her to the vet asap.Some way of treating her at home would be great, I don't know how willing a vet would be to perscribe them to me as many vets in the area havent the foggiest on snakes because its still not the most normal thing here in wales, although it is getting a lot better.

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 05:44 PM
The Viv is perfectly ventilated, its got 4 vents in the back spaced evenly about the size of the bottom of a mug.

My comment wasn't meant as a critisism or accusation, it was merely a general observation. Personally I use 12" X 12" square vents (usually two, sometimes more, depending on viv size), I don't consider mug-size to be sufficient. But maybe that's just me.

RedSided
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I didn't take it as an insult or anything. Its just another one of those things thats going to be debated between keepers:D .

Sorry if it read as if I was being snappy.