PDA

View Full Version : ummm... not URGENT but

lauwersp
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi all...

I'm TOTALLY sure I'm being paranoid but, my new Eastern (no name yet) has been happily perched atop this great holey rock I put in his tank. I'm watching him all tightly coiled up at the top and every thirty to sixty seconds or so his body had a contraction and his mouth opens slightly when it does...

Is this normal? I've really grown to love this little guy and I'd hate for something to happen to him...

Thanks all and I hope all the snakes in this forum get better...

Peter

Stefan-A
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
It's not. Get it to a vet asap. Sounds like the symptoms of B1 deficiency.

guidofatherof5
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Could you be more descriptive about what's happening. Does he contort to one side or the other? When was his last feeding? If you disturb him does he react the way a normal garter would. Do you see much tongue flicking?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to gather information.

Tyrel26
06-08-2010, 05:50 AM
I cannot help with your problem and I would contact a vet but maybe you can help us

What I am going to ask may not be a possibility but could take a video of your snake doing this and post it here? I think it would be a great help to many people once you figure out the problem. It will show the symptoms rather than describe them in text.

Thank you if you can and its understandable if you can't

Good luck with your snake!

ConcinusMan
06-09-2010, 02:42 AM
It's not. Get it to a vet asap. Sounds like the symptoms of B1 deficiency.

Could be something else. Such as a lower respiratory infection or a bone or other object caught in the stomach, trying to throw it up.

lauwersp
06-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Almost right after I posted I was GOING to video what was happening, but he uncoiled and unperched himself from the top of the rock, and never exhibited the behavior again.

I've watched him like a hawk and I've never seen it again...

At this point I *think* he's ok... I'm gonna go buy some CareFresh and stop using shredded paper.

Well... I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks!

guidofatherof5
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
That is good news. Keep an eye on the little beggar for awhile.

ConcinusMan
07-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Updates? How's that eastern doing?

lauwersp
07-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Oh he's fine... Carefresh is good stuff... I'm working on getting him to eat silversides... but now he has two tankmates ;)

ConcinusMan
07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Good to hear.