PDA

View Full Version : Checker trying to puke?

HazAnga
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
My sister just came into my room and noticed my male checker was doing something weird, i got up and looked. It looked as if he was trying to puke, but there was nothing coming up... there shouldn't be anything wrong with him, he just ate a fuzzie 2 days ago. It kinda looked like what they do when they eat something along with there regular food. BUT i feed them seperate, and the odd time in the cage, but always watch them.

guidofatherof5
06-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Regurgitation isn't too uncommon. Something just not sitting right.
I have it happen every once in awhile. With my snakes, that is.:D

mustang
06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
just keep an eye (or two) on him for a while

Stefan-A
06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Regurgitation isn't too uncommon. Something just not sitting right.
I have it happen every once in awhile. With my snakes, that is.:D
It's happened twice here, during the last 5 years.

Mommy2many
06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
I just had it happen last week. Not sure who did it but it was right after they ate larger mice than usual. I'm thinking it may have been Stewie, cause she was a piggy and ate the most.

HazAnga
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Just as an update, my male checker is perfectly fine, it must of been a "fluke puke" lol he mated this year to both of my females although isn't eating a whole lot right now but I'm not concerned atall.

guidofatherof5
10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Great news.

ConcinusMan
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Cyprus mulch. Not good stuff. Any chance he swallowed a splinter?

HazAnga
12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't think so, nothing came out and he's perfectly fine.

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 02:26 AM
He's still eating and pooping? Sometimes when garters eat certain things, even if it's just fish, a fish rib bone, fin, or something "pokey" can catch on the way down, causing them to act like they are going to regurgitate. In most cases, the object passes and the discomfort causing the urge to regurgitate passes.

When my iowa strain albino radix was very young and small, (about 10 inches) I fed him a meal that was perhaps a bit bigger than I should have given him. He got it down and started the regurgitation a while later. A tiny fish rib bone came out of his mouth and caught on the corner of his mouth. Well, he wasn't discouraged. He just re-swallowed the meal but not the bone, it was anchored to his mouth, and stayed outside and he simply wiped it off. I was very cautious from there on out and waited 5 months before giving him a meal that large (in relation to his body) again. Scared the crap out of me. I thought he was choking to death.

Now he's big enough and I swear that now he can swallow a meal 160 percent bigger than the widest part of his body now. No problem at all. He's an adult now about 24 inches. If I don't feed him a meal that takes at least a couple of days for the bulge to go down, he acts like he's starving to death.:cool: He's not fooling me anymore. I used to feed him almost daily, perhaps more often than I should have. He gets fed bigger meals now, about twice a week. Still acts like he's starving though. Little faker.:p

guidofatherof5
12-07-2010, 07:09 AM
I don't think so, nothing came out and he's perfectly fine.

I suppose they aren't a whole lot different than us when it comes to "bad food" or once in awhile stomach troubles.
I usually get worried when one of mine pukes but most of the time it's nothing.;)

ConcinusMan
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
It happens occasionally. If it becomes a chronic problem or it happens often, then something else is going on.