PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

medusa
04-15-2007, 09:56 AM
my daughter has a red sided garter which we believe to be female, recently it has been displaying restless behaviour and we noticed several blobs of a sticky, yellowish substance on the substrate, we have never seen this before in any of our snakes. The snake is apparently healthy and eating like a horse, we have had it for about 2 years. She has not bred. can anyone advise us what the blobs might be?

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
It sounds like it could be "slugs" (failed embryos). Female snakes can retain live sperm for extaordinary lengths of time, and fertilise their eggs when they feel ready. So she may have mated before you acquired her. Of course a photo would help.

Cazador
04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
It's hard to picture the yellowish blobs to which you're referring. As you may know, snakes can store sperm for years, so I wouldn't want to rule out jelly beans (AKA slugs) right away. If the temp is too high, it can increase activity levels and can also affect parturition (the birthing process). Double-check that first. Then could you give a bit more detail about the "blobs" (i.e. size, composition, when you first noticed them and how often they occur). A picture might also help (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/181-posting-pictures.html).

Rick

medusa
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
hi well it didnt look like a jelly bean more like a bit of earwax I dont really know how else to describe it, it dries up hard and shiny, which doesnt show up on a pic very well. she was producing this on and off throughout one day then it stopped. We have checked the temperature and its fine. She has a cage mate who we were told is also a female, though we havent had that one probed. I'm thinking if it was some kind of disease or infection the snake would probably be off her food. There has been no further signs of the mystery blobs today. She seems to be fine in every other respect so I'm not unduly worried about her, just curious as to whats happening, we had thought maybe dud embryos, but we have never seen them before so couldnt be sure.

Cazador
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Sally,

I don't want to freak you out unnecessarily, but if it's about 2-3mm and roughly rectangular shaped, it could be the reproductive segment of a tapeworm (AKA a proglottid). If so, the problem will more than likely resolve itself because tapeworms have an indirect life cycle and need an intermediate host (typically an invertebrate or mammal). They don't spread directly from one snake to another. If, however, the infestation is severe, it can cause problems. First, double-check to see if that's what we might be dealing with. Then review the food items you're offering. Are they frozen thawed inverts or mammals? Then consider a vet visit if the first two items suggest you're seeing proglottids.

Rick

medusa
04-16-2007, 02:41 PM
She wont touch fish so she generally has mice. if we see it happening again we will be visiting the vet just to be sure. Thanks to all for the advice. :)

LeapinLeo
04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
if you want you could try scenting fish with mice

Cazador
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Sally,

Do you freeze the mice for at least three days before feeding? That will reduce the likelihood of spreading parasites to your snake(s).

Rick

KITKAT
04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
if you want you could try scenting fish with mice

That was a cute one! It did make me laugh. I think some others must have missed the humor!:D