PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seent his before

kain
07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Here is a picture of my garter snakes this was taken a when I first got him/her 3months, the swelling is not as prominent anymore as it looks in those photos. The shop I got it from said its been like that its whole life, and they have had a vet check it but not much come from it.

The snake behaves, feeds, sheds like the garters of other peoples who i have talked to.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/kainbloodheart/DSCF1907.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/kainbloodheart/100510_185454.jpg

guidofatherof5
07-30-2010, 06:02 AM
At first it looks like a possible blockage but you say it's been this way for a long time(?). That kinda rules out that theory.
Does the snake defecate normally?
From the discolored scale I would say it might be some kind of injury or possibly a birth defect.
The first photo shows that this, whatever it is, is not asymmetrical.
That does it feel like? What I mean is, is this area hard or is it the same as the rest of the belly?
No offense with this next question but can you trust the Pet Shop? They may not have taken it to a Vet.
Nice looking snake. Best of luck.

kain
07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
At first it looks like a possible blockage but you say it's been this way for a long time(?). That kinda rules out that theory.
Does the snake defecate normally?
From the discolored scale I would say it might be some kind of injury or possibly a birth defect.
The first photo shows that this, whatever it is, is not asymmetrical.
That does it feel like? What I mean is, is this area hard or is it the same as the rest of the belly?
No offense with this next question but can you trust the Pet Shop? They may not have taken it to a Vet.
Nice looking snake. Best of luck.

It deficates normaly

It feels like the rest of the body maybe a tiny bit "squishier"

I belive the shop is trust worthy as I know alot of people are very happy with their service and they offer a lifetime feeding garentee on all their animals so I'm inclined to belive them

il try to get a clearer photo as the underside photo makes the discoloration look worse than it realy is

guidofatherof5
07-30-2010, 06:15 AM
It deficates normaly

It feels like the rest of the body maybe a tiny bit "squishier"

I belive the shop is trust worthy as I know alot of people are very happy with their service and they offer a lifetime feeding garentee on all their animals so I'm inclined to belive them

il try to get a clearer photo as the underside photo makes the discoloration look worse than it realy is

Thanks for the quick reply. If you can afford it you might consider having the snake checked out by your own Vet. Not just for this situation but this way the Vet.(Reptile Vet.) can give you an overall health of the snake. I would strongly suggest you have a fecal float done to rule out any parasite problems. It's money well spent.;)

drache
07-30-2010, 06:49 AM
this wouldn't be a blockage, since it's proximal to the vent
more like enlarged hemipenes

kain
07-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Well he's got an appointment at the vets, but not till thurs.

adamanteus
07-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, I agree with Rhea (drache). The enlarged area is posterior to the vent, so not a blockage. Maybe he's just a 'big boy'!:cool:

kain
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Well just got back from the vets, turns out its his hemipenes, but she thinks he's a tiny bit underweight so they are more obvious

ConcinusMan
08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Better fatten him up!

guidofatherof5
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe you should name him "Magnum":D

ConcinusMan
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe you should name him "Magnum":D

:rolleyes:...

Tyrel26
08-05-2010, 01:43 PM