PDA

View Full Version : Another baby radix retained shed

ConcinusMan
09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I got this baby het albino radix from Don quite a while ago and it looked "wrinkled" when I got it. All efforts to soak off this retained shed have failed. It looks like it's about to lose part of it's tail. And it's the only female of a reverse trio (figures!)

Well it finally now won't eat and seems distressed. I'm pretty sure the old skin is already fused since I can't seem to get it off.

Is there anything else I can do? I fear if I don't get this off, the snake will die.

Oops. I was mistaken. I do have two females and a male. My only "normal" radixes - hets.

guidofatherof5
09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Running warm water from a spray head. The spray of water will catch the edge of the shed. You have to watch close to see it. Also watch the stress on the snake.
I've used this procedure a number of times. It usually isn't a quick process. Be patience.
After running the water for a few minutes, I've even used a Scotch Bright scrubing pad to get the shed started.
You can put the snake in a warm, humid shed box for about 30 minutes before the running water procedure.

ConcinusMan
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I've put the snake in warm water for hours several times. It doesn't help other than to reduce the wrinkles. I've tried rubbing the tail area quite vigorously until it looked like it might get started but it just wouldn't do it. At one point about a week ago, the tail actually started to bleed and I stopped. There simply is no edge that I can find. It just won't come off! :mad:

guidofatherof5
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I've never heard of a shed being that adhered to the body. Are you sure it needs to shed?

Try the warm water spray. It certainly can't hurt.

ConcinusMan
09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, I'm sure but if a shed is retained long enough it will fuse to the new skin. This is usually fatal. Pingping had that same wrinkled look and feel when he retained his shed but we caught it in time and was able to peel it off thanks to your advice. He's doing great and looks great. I tried the scotch pad thing and you can definitely tell there's old skin coming off but it's just flakes and I can't really get a peel going. I think it's too late for that. She's not doing to well and seems kind of limp and breathing is labored.

I was kinda hoping she'd go into shed again and with a little luck I could get a shed off of her before it got to the point of strangling her but it's already doing that. I feel terrible and helpless at this point. I'm really just waiting for the point where I feel that perhaps euthanasia might be an option to end her suffering. Not quite there yet. Willing to give it some more time.

Oh, I just looked over at her and she seems kinda stiff and is acting funny. She keeps sort of twisting on her side and rubbing the side of her head on everything with her mouth kinda halfway open. It doesn't look good at all.:(

guidofatherof5
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear that things aren't going well.

ConcinusMan
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
These things happen I suppose. I do still have the other two. A male and a female (hets) that are doing very well and I just realized I've never posted pics of them yet. I'll have to do that later today.

Mommy2many
09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
How are/were things going with this one?

ConcinusMan
09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Still alive and finally ate yesterday but obviously stressed. Has trouble moving due to "stiff" wrinkled skin and seems to take a lot of effort to breathe. I keep hoping for the eyes to turn cloudy, and hoping this can resolved with the next shed. Snake is hanging in there so far but looks terrible.

Tyrel26
10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
update?

ConcinusMan
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
The wrinkly stiff little guy is hanging in there. Seems to have trouble moving, seems stiff, but still eating.