PDA

View Full Version : Uva/uvb

Ryan
05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
alright everyone I have a question. Since the Xenochrophis vittatus my friend purchased (I am prob. going to get the other 2 they had at the pet store after my dad builds me the enclosure I asked him to) is a diurnal hunter, does she need UVA/UVB light? Ive searched through out the site and other pages and didnt find anything. well some sites said the light helped them and others said it didnt. I just want to know what is best for the animal

Ryan..

ssssnakeluvr
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I've never known snakes to need the uva/uvb lighting....mainly lizards and turtles....

Elliot
05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I just use a regular light bulb and my snake has done fine like this for over a year, so I wouldn'y worry about buying the expensive "reptile' bulbs.

Elliot

Cazador
05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Everything I've read says UV lighting isn't necessary for snakes. With that said, I normally provide full spectrum lighting, even though in some of my enclosures, the full spectrum lighting shines through glass, which would block our the UV rays.

Elliot,
You changed your avatar :). Are those llamas in a station wagon?

Stefan-A
05-14-2007, 02:53 AM
, the full spectrum lighting shines through glass, which would block our the UV rays.
Only B and C. ;)

mikm
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Same here Rick ... I use full spectrum lighting as well, though all I have read indicates 'not necessary'... :)

marian

ssssnakeluvr
05-14-2007, 07:07 AM
I have never used uvb bulbs...my snakes always have done good, have been keeping snakes since 1980. I don't know if it makes a difference....

mikm
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey Don ... I should have prefaced my last post with the fact that I like the 'look, the light' of the full spectrum as well. Since I only keep the two small colonies that does not present a great (unnecassary) expense for me.

enjoy your day !!! :)
marian

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I also use full spectrum bulbs, mainly so that my vivs are versatile and can house lizards if need be.

Ryan
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone, thats all i needed to know.

Elliot
05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Elliot,
You changed your avatar :). Are those llamas in a station wagon?

lol yes those are llamas, the picture is from a motorcycle forum I'm a member of, advrider.com.

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Random thought.... I wonder if there's a llama forum. I must go look. If there is I might join and use a snake (or a motorcycle) as my avatar!

Cazador
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey Don ... I should have prefaced my last post with the fact that I like the 'look, the light' of the full spectrum as well. Since I only keep the two small colonies that does not present a great (unnecassary) expense for me.

enjoy your day !!! :)
marian

I also choose the full spectrum lighting mainly for the aesthetics :rolleyes:.

Rick

sschind
05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Of all the bulbs available I like the appearance of the zoo med reptisun 2.0 bulb the best. Its cheaper than the 5.0 or the 10.0 bulbs but a bit more expensive than some other full spectrum bulbs (it also appears to be brighter) that is what I use in all my tanks for my animals not requiring uvb.

abcat1993
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I personally only see a difference with full spectrum lighting if it's fluorescent as opposed to the normal incandescents.

Sputnik
05-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Would there be any reason for not using an energy saving lightbulb?

Elliot
05-19-2007, 08:49 PM
As long as it fits right where you are putting it and it doesn't get excessivley hot, no.

sschind
05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Would there be any reason for not using an energy saving lightbulb?

For light there is no problem with them. However, the ones I am aware of are usually some type of compact fluorescent bulb so they will not give off sufficient heat if you are planning on using the bulb as a heat source. Also, the hardware store types usually do not give of any UVA/UVB but since it is widely accepted that snakes do not need UVA/UVB this should not cause a problem.

drache
05-20-2007, 02:44 PM
As long as it fits right where you are putting it and it doesn't get excessivley hot, no.

my problem with them is that they don't get hot enough

Sputnik
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, I was going to say that, too. Energy saving light bulbs don't get as hot as conventional ones, but I would only want to use them as a light- not heat source anyway.

Elliot
05-20-2007, 07:50 PM
my problem with them is that they don't get hot enough

That's what I thought, I just wanted to add that to make sure.

Sputnik
05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
This might be useful:

Biobulb - 60W (bayonet) from Ecozone (http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/ecozone/biobulb-60w-(bayonet)/)