PDA

View Full Version : growth rate question

darcy
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
My WC T. Elegans Vagrans, who I have had for about 1.5 years, has just reached over 12". I think he was about 7" long when he came to live with us. Does that rate of growth seem okay for a male?

When do garters reach full maturity? Do you all think it is likely that he can reach the 2' mark? I had read that t. Elegans could reach up to 3' in length, but then read another source on sexing that said that the males tend to be MUCH smaller than the females....

Darcy

ssssnakeluvr
05-23-2007, 07:46 AM
that sounds normal...the speed of growth depends on the type and amounts of feed. Males do tend to be smaller than females. full grown wandering garters average around 24 to 30 inches, whereas females can get to 36 inches. they reach maturity in 2 to 3 years. If you snake is eating fish every week he will grow slower than if he was eating rodents every week.

adamanteus
05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Darcy. As Don says, the growth rate is dependant on type and volume of diet. If you want to increase the snake's rate of growth you could consider switching to a rodent diet.

abcat1993
05-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Isn't it true that snakes grow their entire life, but they slow down a ton when they are mature? So, how much would they grow after that point?

darcy
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks all, I'm not really interested in him getting very big, I just want him to be healthy. I rather enjoy his littleness...

ssssnakeluvr
05-23-2007, 09:56 PM
they continue growing until they die....although its slower as they get older...