"Preparing For First shed"

Unhappy My garter snake started biting me for no reason?

Hi you may or may not remember me but I have a male checkered garter snake named Steavy and he just turned 7 a few days ago! He has never really bit me before other than once or twice, I was dumb and had the scent of pinky on my hand and he bit me. But today I didn't even even get near his food let alone touch it. So as usual I got him out today and he was in his paper towel roll as he always is, and I took the roll out of the cage and slid him out (not as gentle as I probably could) but like I said I do this every day when ever I get him out, and he never got aggressive. But today was different, after he slid out of the roll I picked him up and was handling him, then out of no where he bit my knuckle, it was only a quick strike but it still drew a tiny bit of blood. I set him down and let him calm down, after a few minutes he crawled to me and was nuzzling against my legs ect, but when I moved he got defensive again, trying to strike at me but missed... I gave him some space and put him back in his cage. I needed to clean his cage out today and feed him so I took him out again carefully (he was in his paper towel roll) and I set him into a smaller cage (without touching him bc i was scared he'd bite me again). After I cleaned his cage out I thought I'd see if he was nicer this time and i put him on my bed, I let him calm down a little and i picked him up by the tail, and set him down on my lap, and he bit my leg for no reason. The last time I fed him was last friday and I fed him two pinkys today. (after he bit me twice.) Could it be he was just in a bad mood? Do older snakes get cranky more easily? Was he just hungry? I kinda ruled the hungry part out since I had no scent on me what so ever, but i don't know. It shocked me because he's been my baby for the past 7 years and i'm kinda afraid to touch him now. I usually feed him two pinkies every 8-10 days ish. Has this ever happened to you? thanks for reading
    -brittany

Re: My garter snake started biting me for no reason?

Sounds like he might have been hungry. 8-10 days between meals might get him hungry and cranky. They have moods just like people.
    Try feeding twice a week and see if that helps. Garters have high metabolisms and require more frequent feedings.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Now you have joined the club. Snakes bite, just like people. Maybe he was having a bad day or is hungry. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I still get tagged from mine!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Several of mine will nibble me from time to time. I don't call it a bite unless I have time to finish swearing and they are still holding on.
    It took me a couple of weeks to get over the one that chewed on my finger, she's still mental when there's a smell of food in the air and flips a bit when I put my hand in her viv. But I've forced myself to hold her most days (she's in my office so an easy distraction). Just a case of building confidence again.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Hi, I'm New Here!

I startled my boa last week and she got me pretty good! It doesn't help I was holding my rabbits before(I washed my hands but the rabbits are molting so lots of fur everywhere) It's a part of owning snakes. I currently have 25 so it's bound to happen! So far I have been lucky and all the bites I have got where quick nips no one has hung on yet! The cat scratch I got later that day hurt much worse then the boa!

Banned

"i picked him up by the tail"

Why??

Any snake will go through periods when they don't to be messed with. This could cause an otherwise docile snake to bite or get defensive. Approach from his level, not above and make sure he's aware of your hand. Then when you pick him up slide your hands underneath him and pick him up while supporting his body. do this in a loose manner instead of grasping and restraining. And never pick a snake up by the tail. It doesn't feel good on the vertebrae. A snake that size is way too heavy to pick up by the tail. That's too much weight and stress placed on just a small section of the spine/tail. Have someone pick you up off the ground by the finger, toe or lip and see how that feels.

Is it possible that the snake is going into shed or is too warm? I've had even rubber boas (most docile snake you'll ever meet) get in really bad defensive mood when overheated. Reminds me of a story. Had a WC king snake that was very tame for several years.One day he got overheated and when I reached in to pick him up he bit the crap out of me multiple times and this was nearly a 5 ft snake. ouch. He never did it again. They just get that way when they are too hot.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I agree with the people above, I had my Esmeralda (normal chequered garter) strike me the other day. She is normally such a placid loving snake and when I get her out will get herself comfortable and look like she is watching TV with me. She struck me because not long before I was handling my hamster, not a good idea I know. It may have been that you still had a slight scent on your hand or she remembered the smell from when she struck you and associated it with food. I wouldn't worry too much unless she starts doing it every time.