Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Exclamation How long should a shed take?

Mrs. Wiggles is in shed. At least I am pretty sure she is. Every time she has shed my son (the one who owns her, has seen her eyes gray over before the acutal shed happens). As well she has a giant feed and then stops eating until she is done shedding. I have finally caught onto all of her clues now, and am paying close attention to her shed process. In the past, we always made sure her large pond was full of fresh water for her to soak in but never sprayed her down as we did not know better and all of her other 4 or 5 shed have come off perfectly. This time knowing that we should also spritz her we have been doing that 1 or 2 times daily as well as the full pond. The process from the gorge feed has now been approx. 2 weeks. It has been approx 5 days since her eyes greyed over and still no shed. Is this normal, am I just worring because I have never actually known her cues and paid attention from start to finish? Has anyone and ideas on how long it should be from the grey over point in a garter who is approx. 3ft and 2-3 inches thick?
    Tisha referee to: 1.0Husband2.0Children 3.4.1Corns-Zeus, Kratos, Hades, Artemis, Hera, Gaea,Aphrodite, Nyx0.0.1Kings-Cronus0.0.1Foster Corn2.0Dogs-Niko, Wicket0.2Cats-Fluffy, Bandit 7.5Daycare Kids

Re: How long should a shed take?

Tisha, It is normal for them to remain "opaque" for several days. Then the eyes will clear, but they remain dull looking. Another couple of days and the shedding starts.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

Never shed

Thanks Sid I was starting to panic, she is definitely a member of this family and there would be a lot of tear shed(don't mind the pun) if we lost her!
    Tisha referee to: 1.0Husband2.0Children 3.4.1Corns-Zeus, Kratos, Hades, Artemis, Hera, Gaea,Aphrodite, Nyx0.0.1Kings-Cronus0.0.1Foster Corn2.0Dogs-Niko, Wicket0.2Cats-Fluffy, Bandit 7.5Daycare Kids

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Different garters spend different amounts of time getting the job done.
    My older snake, Chili, is cloudy-eyed for days, and takes over a week to complete the whole process. With Deejay, it's two days blue, shed within 36hours after the eyes clear. Babies are so fast, I usually miss the blue phase.
    Anji

Definately ... babies are like rockets getting through a shed cycle.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Quote Originally Posted by anji1971 View Post
    Different garters spend different amounts of time getting the job done.
    My older snake, Chili, is cloudy-eyed for days, and takes over a week to complete the whole process. With Deejay, it's two days blue, shed within 36hours after the eyes clear. Babies are so fast, I usually miss the blue phase.
    the second snake you mentioned sounds much like mine.
    good to know
    <3 Snakems

"Preparing For First shed" TheBeansprout's Avatar

Hi, I agree. One of my older snakes seems to take forever to shed. From the time her eyes fog over to 'shed day' can be a couple of weeks. She takes a long time to actually shed also. Does a little bit, rests, does some more, rests. lol

Then some of my boys it's lightening speed. Eyes fog over to complete shed can be a couple of days.

One thing I found is to make sure that their tails are completely shed off. Sometimes they can miss the tip and if that builds up, they can end up losing the very end of their tail.

Hope that helps.

TheBeansprout

"Preparing For First shed" ephemerata's Avatar

Hi, I am new here. I actually joined because my snake, sugar, had cloudy eyes then not & I was wondering when she/he(?) would shed or what I could do to help her along. I did not know her with her first shed (she was a rescue/unwanted from my elementary school educational science lab) but had her in her second shed which went off quicker after the blue eyes or "like a rocket getting through a shed cycle" (I like that imagery!) We did two daily soaks in warm water, and she really enjoyed that along with swimming outdoors in our bathtub pond. I am kind of a procrastinator and she beat me to shedding before I could ask! But anyway happy to be here and great information available. How marvelous! How bright her blue and maroon checkerboard is, with orange and white sides!

Jen
    not to rush you or anything . . .
    but you must show us pictures of Sugar - very soon
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeansprout View Post
    One thing I found is to make sure that their tails are completely shed off. Sometimes they can miss the tip and if that builds up, they can end up losing the very end of their tail.

Hope that helps.
    Good call on the tail reminder! I forgot to check that only once, and little Checkers is now a few millimetres shorter than he was supposed to be.
    Anji