Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hampshire, Berkshire, Midlands (England) - I travel frequently between these counties

Garters in the UK

Hi,

I have hardly seen any Garters for sale in the UK.

Are they easily available here?

If yes, then please advise from where?

Cheers.

SCOUSER

Smile Re: Garters in the UK

hi we might be in a better position to help you if you let us know what part of the country you live in . you biography is a little short on detail
    by the way welcome to the sight

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hampshire, Berkshire, Midlands (England) - I travel frequently between these counties

Re: Garters in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by PINJOHN View Post
    hi we might be in a better position to help you if you let us know what part of the country you live in . you biography is a little short on detail
    by the way welcome to the sight
    Hi,

Thanks.

I travel frequently between these counties: Hampshire, Berkshire, Midlands (England)

Cheers.

You will find them quite difficult to track down but they are out there. I would recommend tracking down private breeders and keeping an eye on forum classifieds.
    I'm based in Scotland and hope to have some success round about April with my active breeding projects. Home - Thamnophis Alba - The Scottish Garter Snake
    Other members here will pipe up . I know ZombieKitty is hoping to breed tetrataenia this year and you might want to try contacting the British breeders in the links section of my website.
    If you do find them in shops really do check them over - a lot are WC and there is a very good chance that they will have been mis-labeled/mis-represented as well as not having been kept properly.
    Here's an example - http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...ter-hobby.html
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

SCOUSER

you should also join thamnophis.uk as the name suggests it is a British site
    there's a couple of of good reasons for this, not least from your point of view its where a number of British and European keepers advertise their young and perhaps you might get some adults if you advertise on it
    the other reason is it is greatly under used, but has the potential to help garter enthusiasts on this side of the Atlantic to a very large degree, if only the brit keepers devote a little time to it each week

"Preparing For Second shed" Mix's Avatar

I live in the West Midlands, and this is the centre near to Nottingham (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours' drive away) where I got my red-sided Lily.
    It's an unassuming place, but (when I went there, at least) had friendly staff who knew their stuff. The aquatic section has won multiple awards. The animals all seemed very well cared for, in great condition. I've not had any problems with Lily so far (fingers crossed), and they can sex the snakes if this is a requirement (I asked for a girl).

The garters and ribbons are almost at the bottom of the stocklist:

Reptile Department snakes for sale

They have a location map and contact details on the 'about us' tab, and if you wanted to call ahead, their phone number is along the bottom of the page.

Now, I'm not necessarily 'recommending' as such, since I've only made the one purchase; but it was a nice place at that time.
    Mix
    2.0 T. radix - Ska & Patton
    Yo ho, haul together, hoist the colours high,
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Eastern red-sided garters? I feel an e-mail coming on.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Ha ha ha! I may have been useful in at least one way

When I got Lily, it was just 'red-sided garters'. Hey ho.
    Mix

I may be missing some crucial information about that particular situation, but unlike "eastern red-sided garters", "red-sided garters" do exist.

I meant that I was useful in leading to an error - which Greg may correct them on.

When I got Lily there, who is a red-sided, they were correctly labelled as such. My 'hey ho' was aimed at the fact that I thought they were one place that knew how to get it right - but now maybe not.
    Mix